Monday, November 27, 2006

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury


Let's see - I don't know if I want to say I liked this book but I don't really want to say I didn't like this book. I liked the story line and I liked the idea but I didn't like the author's style of writting. How was that? I also think that maybe this is a book I would have enjoyed more if I read it in school where the teacher could then explain everything that I'm sure I missed. This is the selection for my bookclub, so I'm hoping that with all of us reading it and discussing it I will walk away liking it more than I do right now.
This is a story that takes place in the future. Guy Montag is a firefighter, but not like the kind we have today. His job is to go burn things - namely books. Books have been banned, nobody is allowed to read anymore. When somebody is found with books a call is put into the firehouse and the firefighters go to the house and burn it down - with all the books inside. Guy has been taking books though, he is interested in them. He then meets a young girl who talks about things nobody else ever talks about and this gets him wondering just why books are banned and exactly what is in them. Slowely Guy gets to the point where he can't burn the books anymore and he is found with them and must escape.

1 comment:

nessie said...

Oooooo I love this book because of the twist in language though not as excessive as Clockwork Orange, he uses words that are common in our everyday life - such as fireman - and redefines them. We learn of this though the actions and plot. Craziness and very difficult for style. Great book club choice.

Welcome to the TBR Challenge. I just signed on myself. Did you make ur list yet. When you let me know. Its great to know what I am missing... Oh me?? Yes I posted my 12 and though am happy there is always a regret when choice is made you know??