Friday, August 10, 2007

The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman



This book is for the Newberry Challenge. It is a YA book about a girl who has no family and no home. She travels from village to village begging for food and shelter. She happens upon a town where the local midwife takes her in as an apprentice. She is treated badly but at least she has soom food and shelter. Then she believes she fails when trying to help deliver a baby and she runs away, because that is what she is used to doing. She works for an inn for awhile and must decide what she wants to do with her life.

I thought this was an interesting story. I have read other Newberry winners that I liked a lot more but still thought this was a cute read and will keep on the shelves for my future children.

new author/newberry challenge/YA/117pgs

2 comments:

Booklogged said...

I felt the same way - other Newberys I liked better, but I still enjoyed this one.

Lover of Books said...

It does sound interesting. Just wish I didn't have way too many books to read. lol