Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Slipknot by Linda Greenlaw



This is the first in a new mystery series by the author. Her other books, I believe, are non-fiction.


Jane Bunker is in her early forties and just moved to Green Haven, Maine. She was a copy in Miami and due to certain events decided to leave Miami so she came back to the town where she was born and left when she was 4 years old. She is now working for an insurance company evaluating the fishing boats, etc. She has only been there three days when a dead body is found on the shore. She just happens to be in the area when this happens. Everybody thinks it was an accident since he was the town drunk but Jane thinks otherwise. She contacts the local law enforcement but they don't believe her either. Jane has trouble letting old habits go and decides to investigate the "accident" in her free time.


I admit that I had trouble with this book at first. I actually read the first 6 pages last month and then put it down. It had to do with her writing style, some sentences are just so, oh I don't know what the word is, I want to say flowery but don't think that is right. The sentences just have so much going on in them I had to read several a couple times before grasping the meaning. However once I started getting further into the book this didn't happen as much and I truly did enjoy the story. I like Jane and some of the other towns folks and thought the story moved along at a good pace. There is one part where she is on a boat in a storm and most of it made no sense to me but I have never been on a boat before. haha! So that would be my only complaint, the stuff they were doing just didn't make sense because I wasn't familiar with the terms or a boat. However, that didn't take away from the story and like I said, I did enjoy it. I checked out her website site and it sounds like this will be a series so I'll be keeping that in mind so I can read future books.


I also have an extra copy of this book to give away...so fill out the form on the contest entry if you would like to win a copy!


new author/mystery/258 pgs

No comments: