Friday, May 30, 2008

Tarnished Beauty by Cecilia Samartin


This is the story of Jamilet and Senor Peregrino.

Jamilet is a beautiful girl, but she was born with a horrible birthmark that runs from her shoulder, down her back, and part-way down her thigh. This causes the kids and adults in her village in Mexico to shy away from her and not accept her. They feel it is the Devil's work. When Jamilet's mother dies, Jamilet heads to LA to find her Aunt. She is in hopes that a Dr. will be able to remove her birthmark.

While in LA she gets a job at a mental institution where her only job is to look after Senor Peregrino. She loses her false documents and when Senor Peregrino finds them, he refuses to give them back until she listens to her story.

So, he tells her his story about going on a pilgrimage in Spain and finding (then losing) the love of his life.

While he tells her his story, they form a bond.

I can't say enough about this story. I was sucked in from the very beginning. I wanted to know what would happen with Jamilet and a boy she likes, will she ever show him her birthmark and how will he react? How will Senor Peregrino's story end up? I couldn't wait to get to the end and figure out how the story ended, yet now that I am done, I'm sad that there isn't more of the story to read. This is definitely a book that I recommend.

This book has also been reviewed by:
Bookfool
Lover of Books

(If you have also reviewed this book on your website, send me an email or leave a comment, I'll be sure to link your review here)

new author/fiction/339 pgs

2 comments:

Bookfool said...

Wasn't it wonderful? I felt exactly the same -- totally sucked in. I could not put that puppy down, except to eat and go to the bathroom. Thanks for linking to my review. I'll link back to yours, also. :)

April said...

I need to get this one read and reviewed. I am even more anxious to read it now, after reading your review!