Friday, August 29, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Stories



If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite reasons to read is for the story. Not for the character development and interaction. Not because of the descriptive, emotive powers of the writer. Not because of deep, literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor. (Even though those are all good things.) No … it’s because you want to know what happens next?
Or, um, is it just me?

It's not just you! I rarely, if ever, read a story for the literary meaning. haha! I read a story because it sounds good. I read a story because I like the characters. I read a story to visit other places or a time in the past. I think one of the reasons I don't read a lot of classics is because I don't want to have to "think" when I read the book. I don't want to look for the "literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor". I read a book for entertainment, because I have to think all day at work, I don't want to think when I read for fun.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

My dad always used to accuse me of reading to escape, and now that I'm all grown up (supposedly *LOL*) I can actually agree with him. I love to escape to worlds like The Pink Forest, where I can lose myself in the moment and just be free for awhile.

Unknown said...

Ruth,
Exactly! I'm so glad somebody else feels the same way.