Sunday, September 7, 2008

Killer Pancakes by Diane Mott Davidson

I believe this is the 5th in the series.  

It's almost the 4th of July and Goldy is packed with catering jobs.  She is doing for a major cosmetics line, then she is participating in the food fair at the same mall, and she is catering a 4th of July party.

Things appear to be going as planned on the morning Goldy is supposed to cater the lunch for the cosmetics company, until Clair (an employee for the company) informs her that they expect protesters at this lunch.  It appears the company tests on rabbits and some of them are now blind.  Augh!  Not only does Goldy have to now deal with that, but Julian is head over heals for Clair, so he isn't always the best employee at the moment.   Sure enough, when they arrive at the mall, there are protesters.  They are able to get some food inside, but Claire needs to go back to her car for something, and Goldy decides to go with her so she can get more food out of the van.   They split up to go to their cars.....and then Clair is hit by a car and killed.  Julian goes into shock and is taken to the hospital.  Goldy is devastated and when Tom tells her that it looks like it was murder, she knows she must figure out who killed Clair in order to help Julian.

Of course..to make things worse for Goldy, Marla ends up in the hospital after suffering a mild heart attack and The Jerk shows up at her house in a violent mood. 

As Goldy is investigating the murder on her own, the murderer realizes Goldy is getting too close and threatens her.  Do you think this stops Goldy?  Of course not!

There are a lot of things going on in this book....but not hard to follow.  I think this is a series that should be read in order too.  After reading 5 in the series, I'm still enjoying it and planning on reading the rest.  I really like Goldy.  I like Tom, Marla, Arch, and Julian too.  

Have you reviewed this book on our blog?  If so let me know and I'll post a link below.

Sorry...not links yet


(mystery.276pgs)

4 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I tried to read this series because I had heard so much about it (and I LOVE Joanne Fluke's supposedly "similar" stories) but I could hardly get though Catering to Nobody :( People have told me the books get better but I'm almost afraid to give it another chance.

Unknown said...

ladytink - You know, while the series is similar to Joanne Fluke's books - they are different. I like this series but like Fluke's better. After reading the 1st 5, I would say I like them about the same, don't notice them really getting "better", so maybe it's later in the series that there is a noticable difference.

Bookfool said...

Hey Kris,

Love your new "look"!

Unknown said...

Thanks Bookfool! I'm still working on it, but so far I like it a lot.