Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Deadly Harvest by Heather Graham



Copyright: 2008
Publisher: Mira
Genre: paranormal romantic suspense (For the purpose of my stats, I consider this a mystery)
Pages: 385
Challenges: Series Challenge Season 3,
New-to-me author? No



Simple Description


I took the following from the authors website:


When a young woman is found dead in a field, dressed up as a scarecrow with a slashed grin and a broken neck, the residents of Salem, Massachusetts, begin to fear that the infamous Harvest Man is more than just a rumor. But out-of-town cop Jeremy Flynn doesn't have time for ghost stories. He's in town on another investigation, looking for a friend's wife, who mysteriously vanished in a cemetery.


Complicating his efforts is local occult expert Rowenna Cavanaugh, who launches her own investigation, convinced that a horror from the past has crept into the present and is seducing women to their deaths. Jeremy uses logic and solid police work. Rowenna depends on intuition. But they both have the same goal: to stop the abductions and locate the missing women before Rowenna herself falls prey to the Harvest Man's dark seduction.




Why did I read this book?


I have liked all the books I have read by this author. This is actually the 2nd in the Flynn Brother's trilogy and I was buddy reading it with some on-line friends.


About the book:


Rowena is in New Orleans doing some debates with Jeremy on-air. She was immediately attracted to him but he acted like he wanted nothing to do with her. On the last day that Rowena is in town, as they are leaving the radio station Jeremy see's an article in the paper regarding his friend's wife disappearing. This happened to take place in Rowena's home town. Rowena and Jeremy go out to dinner and later Jeremy stops trying to stay away from her…and that's where the "romantic" bit of the story begins. Rowena and Jeremy go to Salem and meet up with the chief of police, Joe. Rowena sometimes does some work for Joe and they are on really good terms. Soon Jeremy is looking at some of Rowena's friends as suspects. When a woman is found murdered, things really heat up. Soon Rowena is convinced the recent abductions have something to do with the old legend about the Harvest Man.


What I liked most:


I like the romantic bits thrown in with the suspense bits thrown in with a bit of ghost and good ole paranormal. These types of books are perfect for me! I think it was the owner of Heidi's books who turned me on to this author, and I can't thank her enough. It's really easy to follow the author's story and while they aren't scary, the mystery/murder aspect is just enough to keep my interest.


Was there something I didn't like?


I find that so far in this trilogy, the books are written with two main characters. One is a guy and the other is a girl. No problems so far. The problem is that the author writes in first person, and switches which of the two main characters it is, and not with the start of a new chapter. Usually this happens multiple times in the same chapter. Don't get me wrong, this is an author who can pull it off. I am rarely confused and can easily follow who is "thinking" and whose point of view I'm reading from. I kinda get that it works for this trilogy because of how they are set-up. So while it doesn't really bother me, it is something I wanted to point out so that others are aware of this before they start reading them.


Do I recommend the book?


Absolutely! I consider these light reads. If you read other authors who do the romantic suspense books, try this out. If you read other authors who do the paranormal suspense, try this out. Heck..if you don't already read the author, try this out. Haha!




Have you reviewed this book on your blog? Leave me ac omment to let me know and I'll link it below.


Sorry, no linked reviews yet.








Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by……Kris

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never read any of Heather Graham's books, but she sounds like an author I might like.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - Have you read any by Kay Hooper? I like her books too. To me, the two are very similar.

Beth F said...

Come by and pick up an award here.