Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Bodies Left Behind by Jeffery Deaver

Copyright: 2008
Publisher:Simon & Schuster
Genre: Mystery
pages: 350
challenges: no
new-to-me author? yes

Simple Description:
Brynn is a deputy for a small town in Wisconson.  Even though she is off duty, she is asked to check out a 911 call from a vacation home near their area.  The call was disconnected after the caller only said one word.  They don't know if this is a real threat or not.  When Brynn gets to the house, she receives a call from her boss telling her that the man called back and said it was a false alarm.  Since she is already there, she decides to go up to the house anyway.  It turns out the call was a real distress call.  She finds two people murdered in the house, she also realises the two killers are still there. 

She tries to escape but is shot and her car ends up going into the lake.  Luckily she is able to get out alive.  When she is in the woods, she meets a women that she believes is the third house guest.   Along with this women, spends the next 12 hours trying to escape the two killers.  This takes the women on a journal through a very large state park in the middle of the night.

There are a lot of twists and turns with this book. 

Why did I read this book?
I've heard great things about this author and since this was a stand-alone book, it was an easy one to start with.

What I liked most?
I loved all the twists and turns with this story.  It really kept my interest.  I loved the ending as well.  I liked that the story didn't end until each person who played a major role was accounted for.

Was there anything I didn't like?
At first it seemed to be slow to me.  However, I'm not so sure it was the book.  I started it late Sunday, but didn't really get into it until Monday.  Monday I was home sick with the flu.  So I wasn't really at my best.  

Do I recommend this book?
I do.  I thought it was a very good mystery.  When I thought I knew what was going on, I was usually wrong. I love when that happens.  I think the writing was good and I liked the main charactors. 


Have you reviewed this book on your blog?  If so, let me know and I'll link it below.


Thanks for stopping by....and happy reading!  Kris

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep seeing good reviews for Jeffrey Deaver's books. I guess I need to try one.

Lezlie said...

Deaver is a master at twisting the story! I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

Lezlie

trish said...

I loved this book, but apparently regular readers thought it was just so. Apparently, his other stuff is EVEN BETTER. I can't wait to start The Bone Collector.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - it took me awhile to finally read one of his books too, but I'm glad I did.

Lezlie - oh..glad to know I can expect more twists in other books. He really had me lost. It was great! haha!

Trish - Really? That's cool! That can only mean that I should like his other books better. I know I have another at home..somewhere.