Friday, April 24, 2009

Germania by Brendan McNally


Copyright: 2008

Publisher: Simon and Schuster

Genre: Fiction

Pages: 370

Challenges: War Through the Generations

New-to-me author? Yes

Author’s website

 


Simple Description

In simple terms, this is the story of the last days of the Third Reich and the short lived Flensburg Reich.  While this is a fictional account of this time period, the author did use some real people and events to shape the story. 

When the book first starts out it is about the Flying Magical Loerber Brothers.  These are 4 brothers who perform what I would call a circus or acrobat act.  They juggle and do flips, etc.  Then it moves to several years in the future where their father is dead, the brothers aren’t talking to each other and it is at the end of WWII.   The oldest brother is assumed dead, he disappeared and nobody knows what happens.  We soon learn that two of the brothers are working in the Nazi party (although not SS) and are also spies for the allies or Soviets/Russians.   The fourth broth is in the Navy.  I must also mention that these brothers are Jewish.  I assume these brothers are purely fictional because it doesn’t say otherwise.  You see how their lives end up becoming intertwined during the Flensburg Reich and how each one reacts.

I couldn’t pick out one main character in this book.  There are several characters where we get their point of view and live through them for several chapters.  Some are the brothers mentioned above and others are Nazi generals and other people who were working for Hitler.   You get a hint of what it was like for the German Government in the last days before being imprisoned.

Why did I read this book?

I really like reading books regarding WWII and the Holocaust. Since this was from a different point of view than I normally read, it caught my interest.  

What I liked most:

Prior to reading this book, I don’t believe I have ever heard of the Flensburg Reich.  This was the German government that was set up after Hitler died and before the Allies dissolved it.  This story was interesting for me because it was told from the Germany point of view but also about a part of the war that I wasn’t very familiar with.

Was there something I didn’t like?

I admit that is mostly my fault, but I was confused at first.  The very beginning takes place in 1933.  Then the next chapter is 1945.  I, um, didn’t read that and so was rather confused about what was going on. Haha! So just make sure you do read what is written under the chapter number.

Do I recommend the book?

I do.  I thought the book was very interesting and I feel those who like reading books that are about WWII will enjoy it.

 

Have you reviewed this book on your blog?  Leave me a comment to let me know and I’ll link it below.

Sorry, no linked reviews yet.

 

 Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by……Kris

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for the review.

Bookfool said...

For some reason, this one doesn't interest me. I have no idea why. I was thinking because it's fiction but then I realized I have a couple of Nazi-era fictions on my piles, so that's not it. Weird.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've never heard of Flensburg Reich either. This sounds like an interesting story (ironically, I'm currently on a WWII kick and watching all kinds of movie previews and cartoons made during that period to boost morale) and I really like the cover too!

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - You're welcome, I hope you do enjoy it if you decide to read it.

Bookfool - it is a different type of story than you usually read in regards to WWII, so maybe that's just it?

Ladytink - I enjoy reading about this time period, so weird too since something so horrible happened..yet I can't stop reading about it. Kinda like a car crash right? just can't look away.

Serena said...

A link to this post will appear on the War blog this evening.

brendan said...

Hi Kris, I'm glad you enjoyed Germania enough to post this review. If you'd like to check out my new novel, Friend of the Devil, it's available as an ebook on Amazon (yes, I've parted ways with Big Publishing and have put this one out myself). Friend of the Devil is a twisted, dark-humored story. Herbert T. Barrow is a 1930s jazz musician on the run from "the Laws." He's heading for Del Rio where he figures he can get a job on the Boarder Blaster XER as a singing cowboy and hide in plain sight. But on his way down, he gives a ride to a man who turns out the be the Devil himself. Now the Devil owes Herbert a big favor, but Herbert, being a fervent atheist, isn't interested in collecting on it. Later he helps out another man who turns out to be "that other guy," who he also doesn't believe in and before he knows it, Herbert finds himself in the middle of a wager between the two.

Actually, being in the middle of the wager is not exactly correct. The two deities are really betting on the soul of Capt. Frank Hamer, the Texas Ranger who has just brought down Bonnie & Clyde. Herbert T. Barrow is just the side bet. Much craziness ensues! It's Herbert against the Deities. I won't tell you how it turns out.

Unknown said...

Brendan - Thanks for letting myself and my readers know. Unfortunately..I don't have an ereader and don't see having one anytime soon, so I won't be able to read the book. I hope others enjoy it though!

brendan said...

Thanks for writing back, Kris. Actually, I don't imagine getting an e-reader anytime soon either. BUT, if you would like to read Friend of the Devil, you can always download a free Kindle App onto just about any computer or smartphone and read it that way. I'd like to put out a hard copy version of the book, but that would just put me back with those NY publishing nimnodes I decided to break away from. But cheers, Brendan.

www.brendanmcnallyauthor.com