Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Love, Mom by Doree Shafrir and Jessica Grose



Copyright: 2009
Publisher:Hyperion
Genre: Non-fiction
Pages: 247
Challenges: The Pub Challenge, Non-Fiction 5
New-to-me author? Yes
Author's website

Simple Description

One day the two authors were sharing funny emails their Mom's sent them and decided it would be a great idea for a website. So, they start this website and ask people to send emails and IM's from their Moms that could be shared. Before you know it..they have a book offer. If only things like this would happen to me in real life right?


So Love, Mom is a collection of IM's and parts of emails from Mom's to their kids. The book is split into chapters based on different subjects such as blobs and facebook, relationships, appearance, school & work & growing up, etc. You get the idea. I'm going to hazard a guess and say these were also on their website but not sure. Either way…loved the book and now have the website subscribed in my google reader.


Some of the stuff was so funny I giggled while reading it. (Which…I have to tell you what is even funnier – I was reading it in bed and I giggled, so my husband giggled, which made me giggle because it was funny, which in turn made him giggle again. Haha!) Ok..so some stuff was very funny, others made me smile, others I didn't really get and didn't see why it was funny. It's not that I didn't like them – still enjoyed it, but just didn't really get the humor of it I suppose


Now this is the type of book I think is hard to review, so I marked a couple to share with you.


"Joe, I'd like to add you to my professional network on LInkedin – this is Facebook for grown-ups. –Mom"


Haha! I loved that one! I might be a grown-up but I do love facebook, and yes, I'm also on LinkedIn too.




Ok..here's another one:


Mom:I just nailed the entire rock and roll section (british) on jeopardy


Me: wow, nice!!


Mom: yeah!! (me with the big L on my forehead)


I am playing with myself


Ha


Me: please don't ever write "I am playing with myself" to me


Mom: that's why I did it




Haha! I loved that one too. Ok, so that gives you an idea of what you can find in this book.


Why did I read this book?


I read a blurb of the book and it sounded like a fun read.


What I liked most:


I liked that it was a fast read and a fun read. It's the perfect type of book to use as a filler. Just read a very gory thriller and now need something light? Perfrect! Busy with kids and work and school and all sorts of other things and need to take a break? Perfect!


Was there something I didn't like?


I didn't really think some of them were that funny, but can't I really put that in this section. Suppose I can since I'm the blog author. Sure it's something I didn't like, but I can't really blame the book. If it's in the book..that means sever somebody's thought it was funny and worthy.


Do I recommend the book?


I do. I think this was a fun quick read that can lighten the mood. I personally am not a Mom yet, but could totally see myself in some of those emails/chats. Haha! I just just see doing stuff like that to my kids when they are grown.




Have you reviewed this book on your blog? Leave me a comment to let me know and I'll link it below.


Sorry, no linked reviews yet.




Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by……Kris

5 comments:

Dorte H said...

I have not read the book, but your review made me laugh :)

Belle said...

This book sounds hilarious! My mom has written me the oddest emails. I also get lots of "tech support" phone calls from her which drive me nuts but I do appreciate that she's on the computer and online!

Unknown said...

Dorte - so glad I, well, I guess not really me, but so glad reading my blog made you laugh! Those were two of my favorite that were short enough to put on my blog.

Belle - haha! You should submit some of your emails to their website!!! I totally get you with the tech support calls to -I get them all the time from friends and family.

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like a great book to keep around for when you have a few moments to spare.

Ladytink_534 said...

I recently heard about this. It's such a cute idea!