Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Starvation Lake by Bryan Gruley


Copyright: 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 370
Challenges: None
New-to-me author? yes
Author's website

Simple Description
Gus is unhappy to be back in Starvation lake, the small town he grew up in. It's a hockey town..and he missed the goal that caused the River Rats to lose a championship game. The town has never let him forget it. To make matters worse, the town knows he is back because he got in trouble with his last job. He is a reporter/journalist. He was working for a bigger newspaper in Detroit and had uncovered a huge story. However something happened and he had to leave his job and there are legal actions being taken against him.

Things get interesting when a snow mobile is found in Starvation Lake. This proves to be the snowmobile that the beloved coach of the River Rats hockey team owned, the one he died while riding on ice. However, he supposedly drowned in a different lake, so how did it end up in this one? Gus and his only other reporter, Joanie, begin to ask questions. They are pretty much stonewalled wherever they go though. People loved the coach and don't want to think that he was murdered or better yet, that he wasn't the stand up guy they thought he was.

So in this book you really have a couple of stories. We have the story about the coach. Gus begins to uncover things about his past and the coach's past that he never even realized when he was younger. These aren't good things. He realizes that the town is a bit shadier than originally thought. You also have to story about why Gus had to leave the Detroit newspaper and what is going on with that one. They do intertwine and at the end you understand why there were two stories.

Now what you really want to know…my thoughts:
I liked it, I thought it was good, but can't list it as one of my favorites. I would recommend it to others though. I'm just not a hockey fan, and hockey is a major part of this story. So you are told different plays and moves and since I have no idea what they are, I was just like "ok..whatever". I also don't understand how a town could fall apart just because a championship game was lost. But..I'm not a hockey fan or much of any kind of sports fan to where a loss would really effect me. Heck..when the Cardinals won the world series a couple of years ago I was happy for them, but not overly excited like the rest of STL was. Haha! So that gives you an idea of why I didn't really get all the hockey stuff.

The mystery part of the book was very good. It kept moving. Gus was always uncovering something else or getting stonewalled or something. So I really enjoyed that aspect of the story. I did figure out what was going on with Coach before Gus did but that didn't ruin it for me at all. I was just waiting for Gus to put 2 and 2 together.

There is a prologue to this story. Well, wait, let me mention that I have an ARC. So in my copy there is a prologue. I don't know if it made it in the final copy or not. Let me just say that I have no idea what the prologue is trying to tell me about the story. Even after finishing the book, I just don't get it. Maybe somebody else will but I didn't. In fact, if you have read this book and can explain it to me, please leave a comment. I would love to know how it fits in.




Have you reviewed this book on your blog? Leave me a comment to let me know and I'll link it below.


Sorry, no linked reviews yet.






Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by……Kris

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not into hockey, but my son is. I wonder if he'd like this.