Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Genesis Beach by Susan Whitfield


Copyright: 2007
Publisher: iUniverse
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 172
Challenges: none
New-to-me Author: yes
Author's Website



Simple Description:
I copied this from Amazon, I looked on the author's website but didn't find a description.
I craned my head around the corner and pulled back again. There was someone there. I inhaled deeply and swung my body around into the room, coming face-to-face with my own image in the mirror. The hair on my body bristled …

When the lifeless body of millionaire Rick Teater is discovered, no one suspects he was beaten to death with a sock, least of all inexperienced Logan Hunter, an intern for the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation. But the high-profile crime scene—and the need to prove herself—propel her to embark on a quest for justice. During the investigation, she befriends Pepper Ellis, the victim’s chef, and the two form an emotional attachment, something Logan does not expect.

After several intense searches, complicated by a hurricane and a recurring nightmare, Logan finds the body of her prime suspect, Lincoln Tumu. Her investigation comes to a frustrating standstill. Trying to cope with demons of her own, Logan begins to unravel the tightly woven plan that implicated Tumu and discovers she pursued the wrong person from the beginning. Now she suspects the one she counted on for guidance has been deceiving her all along.



Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
Honestly, I only got a little over 50 pages in this book before I decided to put it down and mark it as DNF. Here's the thing, the writing just wasn't good enough for me. You can tell it's the first in a series, the first book by the author, so I was willing to forgive some things. However, the story itself didn't grab me enough for me to continue reading it. I thought the main character made some huge mistakes that somebody in her position shouldn't have made. None of the secondary characters grabbed me either. So...I just decided not to continue.

I noticed the reviews on Amazon were really good though, so I encourage you to check them out.


Thanks to Susan Whitfield, the author, for providing this book for review.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Thanks for letting us know that this is one to skip.

Beth F said...

There are just too many great books out there to continue with one that doesn't grab you. I'll pass on this one.