Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Devil's Arithmetic


Genre: young adult
Pages: 176
Challenges: 9 books for 2009
New-to-me Author: yes
Author's Website



Simple Description:
Hannah is unhappy that she has to go to her Grandma and Aunt's house for Seder. Her Grandma is rather weird, he yells at the tv when watching what looks like WWII footage. She would much rather hang out with her friend Rosemary who is having fun celebrating Easter. Hannah is asked to open the door for the prophet Elijah and when she does she finds herself transported to the 1940's. She is a young Jewish girl and on the day of her brother's wedding the entire town is shipped off to a concentration camp. There she meets another girl named Rivka. Rivka helps her learn how to survive in the death camp. Hannah learns first hand what it was like for her ancestors.

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
I thought this was an excellent book. It definitely shows how important it is to remember what has happened in the past so that something like that doesn't happen in the future (although..with Darfur...I guess it kinda is but that's a whole different conversation). I loved the ending to this book. I think it would be a great read for kids (heck..and adults). Definitely one that I recommend to others.



This book is part of my collection and was either bought or given to me.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, that sounds like it would give you a lot to think about.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - it really did - can't wait to try and make my nephews read it when they get older.

Anna said...

I just bought this book, and can't wait to read it.

We posted your review on War Through the Generations.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric