Monday, December 14, 2009

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke


Copyright: 2006
Publisher: Scholastic
Genre: YA - fantasy
Pages: Audio
Challenges: Read-your-own-books
Author's Website



Simple Description:
Firedrake is a dragon living in Scotland. One day one of the rats tells the dragons that the humans will be filling their valley with water to make a lake. The Dragons have nowhere else to go except, there are stories about a place call The Rim of Heaven. No human goes there and the dragons are safe, it's where the dragons used to live. Firedrake is the only dragon that sets out to find this place. Sorrel, his Brownie friend, goes with him. Along the way they pick up Ben, an orphaned human. They have many adventures along the way, it seems danger is everywhere they go. In fact, they are hunted by the golden dragon, the dragon who eats other dragons.

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
I loved this story. I loved how the dragon, the brownie, and the human work together to find the destination. I loved the different magical, and non-magical, creatures they come across and the different adventures they have. I definitely think kids will enjoy this story.

I actually own the book but ended up listening to the audio version. As far as the audio version goes, I can rave about it enough. Brandon Fraser reads the book and he is excellent. He changes his voice for the different characters and he somehow makes the book come alive, it was like listening to a movie.



This audio book was rented from my local library.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not sure this is for me, but I think my sister and son would love this book!

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - I definitely recommend the audio book if that's a possibility for them..it was just so good.

Anna said...

My daughter snapped this one up at a library sale (50 cents for a near perfect hardcover!) and she's been reading it off and on since. She really likes it; it's just a bit long for her. Glad to see you enjoyed the story.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric