Thursday, December 3, 2009

Eldest by Christopher Paolini


Publisher: Random House
Genre: YA
Pages: Audio
Challenges: 101 Fantasy Challenge
New-to-me Author: No
Author's Website



Simple Description:
Honestly..this time around I'm just being lazy with not writing my own description. I copied this from the RandomHouse website:
Darkness falls…despair abounds…evil reigns…

Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now Eragon must travel to Ellesmera, land of the elves, for further training in the skills of the Dragon Rider: magic and swordsmanship. Soon he is on the journey of a lifetime, his eyes open to awe-inspring new places and people, his days filled with fresh adventure. But chaos and betrayal plague him at every turn, and nothing is what it seems. Before long, Eragon doesn’t know whom he can trust.

Meanwhile, his cousin Roran must fight a new battle–one that might put Eragon in even graver danger.

Will the king’s dark hand strangle all resistance? Eragon may not escape with even his life. . . .


Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
I thought the story itself was very good. I thought parts were a bit slow, mostly when he was being trained, but overall I thought it moved well. I love the characters and the different things Eragon has to deal with. I also loved that Roran has a big part in this book and has his own story going on too. Definitely a series I recommend to others.

As for the audio version - juries out on that one. For the most part I think the author did well, but some of the voices I found annoying and didn't like. I didn't like Saphira's voice but I think that is because I like how in the movie version of Eragon she had a very feminine voice and that wasn't the case for the audio version of this book. I think I'll read, not listen to, the next book in the series.


This audio book was rented from my local library however I do own a copy of the book.

No comments: