Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Best Kept Secrets by Sandra Brown

Genre: Mystery
Pages: Audio
Challenges: Audio book challenge
Author's Website

Simple Description: 
Alexandra Gaither was raised by her Grandmother because her mother was murdered with Andrea was just a baby.  Now, 25 years later, Alexandra is an attorney and she has been given the time and resources to investigate her Mom's murder, since the case was never completely solved.   Sure, a man was accused but he was never convicted.  The man was the town idiot, basically.  Alexandra believes the man wasn't responsible. Instead, it had to be one of three men who are now prominent citizens in their small town.  You have Junior.  The son of a rich man who owns and breeds and boards race horses and is the richest man in town.  Angus, his father.   And Reed, the town sheriff.   Reed and her mother dated in highschool and Junior was their best friend.

Alexandra is told countless times that she should stop messing around with this murder investigation and nothing good will come of it.   She begins to uncover secrets that the three men would prefer stayed buried.   She also finds herself falling in love with Reed, while being sought after by Junior.  

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
I thought the book was pretty good.   I had some issues with it, such as Reed and Junior both being attracted to Alex, even though they were both attracted to her Mom.  I mean, that just made me feel a bit disgusted.  I realize that Alex is a beautiful woman, but still.   It would be equivalent to me dating one of my Mom's former boyfriends. That's just not going to happen.   Aside from that, though, the book was pretty good.  There were enough twists and turns to keep me interested in the story.  I figured out who the murder was, mostly because I thought it couldn't be some characters, there had to be a twist, and who did I think would make for a good twist or a good murderer in this story, and I just happened to be right.  

I did listen to the audio version of this book and I definitely recommend it in audio.  It's read by a male but he does a really good job of changing his voice for the different characters and putting a lot of emotion into it.

Again, no pretty pictures for my rating, but I would give this one a rating of 3/5.

This audio book was rented from my local library.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I read a Sandra Brown book several years ago and felt pretty much the same way you did about this one. I never felt compelled to run out and get another one of her books.

Unknown said...

I liked it enough to plan on reading more, especially since I own some. I think it was just the relationship between the two men and the girl that gave me an icky feeling.