Monday, April 19, 2010

Dark Sky by Carla Neggers

Copyright: 2005
Publisher: Mira
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 375
Author's Website



Simple Description:
Juliet Longstreet is a Deputy US Marshal.  She put a guy in jail years ago and at the time he swore he would get even with her.  That man, Bobby Tatro, it now out of jail.  Juliet hasn't seen or heard him yet and hopes it was a useless threat, just to scare her.   However, that doesn't look to be the case.  ex Special Forces Officer Ethan Brooker is asked to rescue a civilian who was captures by some bad guys in Columbia.  It appears that Tatro is involved in the kidnapping and when the man is rescued, a picture is found that shows a recent picture of Longstreet.

To make matters more interesting, and scary, Juliet's niece shows up at her apartment complex unannounced and had a run-in with Tatro.   Plus, does there happen to be some romantic interest between Brooker and Longstreet?

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
You know what? I have to be completely honest.  I didn't really like the book.  There seemed to be a lot of info about things that happened in the past  that seems irrelevant to what is gong on now.  I'm sure it's supposed to help the story, but in my opinion it didn't, it made it worse.   There also wasn't enough going on in the story to keep my interest, it was slow.  I needed it to be faster paced and less confusing.

I'm thinking of going to a star rating or some kind of rating.  if i did, this book would get a 2 out of 5.  I buddy read this with a couple of friends.  Two of us finished it at roughly the same time and she gave it a 2.5 out of 5 and both of us recommended the other friend not even bother reading it.


Regarding star rating or rating of some kind..what do you guys think?  You're my readers, do you want to see me to do this or not?  I've noticed that lately on the blogs I follow that when I see a rating, I zero in on that first and that gives me an idea of if I want to read the book or not. I do read the review, but I really like getting the rating too.



This book is part of my collection and was either bought or given to me.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sorry the book was a stinker.

As far as ratings go, that's up to you. I don't do one, but I don't mind it when others do.

Maree Jones said...

I think star ratings for books are not a bad idea. I know I usually look at the stars and read the review and make up my own mind. Often if I'm looking at getting a book on Amazon I'll read the lowest star rating reviews first because I'm interested in what people didn't like. It doesn't mean I won't like it, but it usually gives me a better idea of the book than the higher star reviews.

Sooooo...my long and windy point is that a star rating for a review is fine. :) I think most people read reviews to get an idea and make up their own mind anyway, so with or without stars it is all good. :)

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - Thanks for your input. Still haven't made up my mind regarding the rating.

Beautiful Witch - Thanks for your input too. I always read the lowest ratings on amazon too.

Professor Stacy said...

I appreciate the warning away. There are too many books in the world to waste our time on bad ones! Thanks, Kris.

(I like the rating system idea)

Unknown said...

Professor Stacy - I hate to give negative reviews but like you said, I would rather be warned about ones to stay away from so I can enjoy others..way too many books I want to read. Thanks for your thoughts on a rating system. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll do it. I just have to find a cool image to use...I'm thinking owls, but that might be hard to find. hmmm...

Lover of Books said...

I am all for ratings. I do it on my blog but most of the time the books get pretty high marks. I guess I am easy to please. lol

Krista