Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Smile: St. Louis Zoo Run

This past weekend was the 25th annual Zoo run.  Ok..it has a longer name than that, but it benefits the zoo and the starting point is right outside the zoo, so that's what we always call it.  I've been doing the zoo run since 1995.  Isn't that crazy?!  I can't believe I've been doing it for 15 years!  The run is 5k, 3.1 miles long.  I used to run it, then got out of running and walked it with my sisters and Mom, now I'm back to running it.  

The zoo run is a family tradition.  My sisters and Mom have been doing it with me for a long time.  Now my sisters bring their kids, my nephews.  In fact, my sisters have done the zoo run each time they have been pregnant. haha!  So the kids have been doing it before they were even born.  This even includes the nephew that will be joining the family in August this year.  I think we can all imagine that I'll be volunteering at the zoo run whenever age catches up with me and I'm unable to walk it any longer.

I wanted to share some pictures taken from the zoo, the run and strolling around the zoo afterwards.  Please excuse the fact that I haven't edited the photo's at all. I spent the rest of the day after the zoo run hanging out in the pool (I can't believe we were in the low 90's in May!), and most of this week I've had stuff going on after work in the evenings, I just haven't had time.


This picture is of us before the race started.  I wish it could have been better, but when asking a stranger to take your picture, I suppose one can't be took picky.  From the left:  My Mom, my sister (her kid has the red hat on), my other sister (who is pregnant) and her two kids, and last is little ol' me.


Are these two adorable or what?


Ok ok..I know...they are MY nephews, but come on, how could you not think this little guy is also adorable?

Had enough of the nephews?  No?  Me either...but I do have some pictures of the animals to show you.  There are a couple I just couldn't help sharing.



What's that you ask?  Why yes, you are correct.  That is a lion in a tree!  seriously..we couldn't stare at this girl enough.  We have NEVER seen a lion in the tree at the zoo!  It was pretty high off the ground too (I was going to share a picture that showed that, however whenever I upload it, the program turns the picture on it's side and you can't see anything anyway.   The zoo keeper said that this little lady has been doing it since she was little, and that it's not very common.



2 comments:

Lover of Books said...

That is so cool! Our zoo does something like that too. Looks like you had a great time!

Unknown said...

We did have a great time. I like doing it every year because it supports the zoo, which is free (and we want to keep it that way).