Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker

Copyright: 2009
Publisher: RazorBill/Penguin
Genre: young adult
Pages: 278
Challenges: young adult, buy 1 book and read it
Author's Website 
My rating: 4.5/5

Simple Description: 
Fiona is starting her senior year in highschool.  She might not be popular, but she has her best-friend Marcy and that's all that matters.  On the first day of school she finds out that the highschool is requiring all seniors to complete a course called Trying the Knot.  The kids are paired up as couples and must work with their spouse to earn money and participate in activities together.   Fiona considers herself incredibly unlucky and can prove this because she is paired with Todd Harding.  Todd is popular and dating Amber, Fiona's enemy.
Marcie is grouped with Johnny Mercer, a bigger kid, although he seems nice.  Fiona's crush, Gabe, is paired with her enemy Amber.

This book takes you through Fiona's senior year of highschool.  There are pranks between her and Todd, there are fights and verbal insults between her and, well, several kids.  There is trouble between her and Marcie.

In her senior year, Fiona learns how others view her and how maybe she could change and maybe she is a bit too harsh on others.  Fiona grows up and learns that people aren't always who they appear to be.

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts: 
I loved this book!  The writing was good..the barbs going back and forth between Fiona and Todd are very funny.  I found myself chuckling to myself most of the time and sometimes I was so into the story that I giggled out load before I could stop myself.     I liked the concept of this book, the idea that in having to pretend she is married to somebody she dislikes, she actually learns more about that person and other people.  She learns that things aren't always what they seem to be.  In the reverse, those she starts to see differently also see her in a different light too.  

I can't believe this is the author's first published book, hopefully there are many to come because I would love to read more by Kristin Walker.

I definitely think this is a book that teenagers would get a kick out of.  I think they will like the story and all the funny comments.   Of course, I think a lot of us adults would like it too.

Now, I will say that a lot of the comments going back and forth between Fiona and Todd are sexual in nature.  I personally think that any high schooler reading these books is hearing the same things or possibly worse and therefore it's not a problem.  I believe the same about kids in junior high.   I don't have kids, but I don't think I would have a problem letting a teenager read this one.  I just wanted to say something to you, just as an FYI - not so you don't let kids read this but so that you know to talk to them if you so choose.

I read this book for Girls Gone Reading Blog Book Club.

This book is part of my collection and was either bought or given to me.

1 comment:

Veggiemomof2 said...

That sounds like a good book, although I'm not sure I'd want to relive high school!