Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weekend Cooking: Pizza Sauce

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.




I decided to join in this week because I have a pizza sauce recipe.  Last weekend Beth Fish Reads shared a grilled pizza recipe.  I commented that I wanted to try it and use my pizza sauce recipe to make it all homemade.  She then asked for the pizza sauce recipe and I obliged.  Then I thought, heck, why not share it on my blog and participate in her weekly feature.



Pizza Sauce

Ingredients
1 can (28 oz) italian tomato sauce
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
salt to taste (optional)

Directions
In a large saucepan, bring tomato sauce, olive oil, and spices to a simmer.  Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until sauce reduces to about 2 1/2 cups.  (Monitor sauce to prevent bubbling/splattering during simmering.) Taste and season with salt, if desired.  Cool to room temperature. Sauce keeps covered and chilled for about 5 days.  Maybe frozen.


I don't have any pictures for you, sorry.  I haven't actually made this in awhile.  I do want to make it and freeze it for when I need it.  The problem is that I don't really like to cook, so I don't make it ahead of time and then when we plan to make pizza, I just buy all the fixings.  Maybe this weekend..or next.  :)

Actually, I'm hoping some of my husbands co-workers give him tomatoes from their yard.  Then I could make this using fresh tomatoes instead of canned.  Maybe my sister would give me some fresh  herbs too.  Then I could use all fresh ingredients.  Yumm..now I'm hungry and craving fresh pizza sauce on a homemade pizza. 


4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I bet that would be fabulous with fresh tomatoes! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - I can't wait to try it with fresh ingredients. I'll have to do an update once I have and let you all know how it turned out.

Beth F said...

Yay! Now I don't have to worry about losing the recipe. Fresh tomatoes are just in season here, so perfect timing for that experiment.

Unknown said...

Beth - tomato's are turning red in my area too..can't wait to try this and also make fresh spaghetti sauce.

A friend told me that if I boil the tomatoes for about a minute (I think that was it) you will see them crack and peal a bit..then when you take them out you can easily peel them. I can't wait to try that, since last time we were cutting the skin off and trying to peel by hand and it took forever.