Saturday, September 24, 2005

Always Running La Vida Loca: Gang Days in L.A. by Luis Rodriguez

I loved this book! This was for my banned book club. This is a true story of Luis' life growing up in E. LA in the 60's and 70's and how he gets caught up in gangs, how he tries to get out and make something of his life, but how he is pushed back into the gangs. He does eventually get out, and he writes this book so others know what it is/was like for hispanics in America.

I just loved this book. I think there is a lot to learn from it and I think parents and kids should read it. It makes me realize just how privaliged I am, I mean I grew up in the subarbs of St. Louis and I have always heard there are gangs in St. Louis - but I have never seen anything nor do I hear anything on a daily basis. So this book really helps me understand just a little bit more why people would be in a gang and what a gang is all about.

one of my favorite books so far this year!

No comments: