Wednesday, November 1, 2006

The Secret Thief by Judith Jaeger


When I first started reading this book I wasn't sure, I didn't know how well I would like the main character, Connie. However, once I got about 30 pages into the book - I was sucked in and didn't want to put it down. I started to feel for Connie and wanted her to figure out the family secrets and get better. I wanted her to love her Grandmother and break-away from her Mother. I wanted Connie to know what it was like to live life on her own terms. I loved the way the book ended. If we're lucky - we'll see more from this author.
Connie is in her early 20's. She is being sent to live with her Grandmother for a while durring the summer so she can help her Grandmother get the house read, since she is moving into a nursing home. Connie doesn't want to go because she has never gotten along with her Grandmother.
Connie is also dealing with an ulcer that she has had since she was 10, running seems to be the only thing that helps her. While Connie is going through her Grandmother's things she beginns to find some secrets that have been hidden for a very long time. Connie also begins to find out that her Mother is not what she seems and could also be the problem behind Connie's ulcer.
"The sky overhead grows deeper and deeper shades of purple as I debate whether to stay behind the tree or walk across the street and knock on his door like a normal girl. It's always such an effort for me to act like a normal girl." p.41
"That's the great thing about stealing from people who hide stuff-they can't even admit that something's been stolen." p.59
"I can't take that kind of pressure, not on top of my two strongest urges at this moment-checking to see if my nipples are poking through my bra, and sniffing my armpits to be sure I'd but on deodorant" p. 129 (haha! I loved this one)

No comments: