Saturday, June 16, 2007

Queenpin by Megan Abbott


I believe this type of book is called pulp noir. At least there is a reference to it on the back cover.


This takes place, I believe in the 60's but I could be wrong. A young women is hired by Gloria Denton, who I still haven't figure out of she is a real person although the book is fictional. Gloria works for the mob, taking bets, delivering goods, etc. She sees a little of herself in the young women and takes her under her wing. She makes sure she has a car, nice place to live, nice clothes, etc. The girl wants more and more. She then gets caught up with the wrong guy and that changes everything. Her life and living, as well as Gloria's, is at stake. Who will come out ahead?



This was a different type of book for me. I don't believe I have read one that was considered noir before. I enjoyed it though. It was a quick read and kept my interest. I wanted to know what would happen. I liked how the author told the story, I have no idea what the narrator's name is, the location, or the exact time period - but it worked for this book. The author has two other books and I'm going to add those to my wish list.


new author/fiction/180pgs

No comments: