Monday, July 23, 2007

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - DNF


I did not finish this book. I read 254 out of 543 pages. This was the selection for my bookclub for July and that is the only reason I read as much as I actually did. I can't say I hated the books...I just didn't care for it. I never really liked any of the charactors and I really don't care what happens to any of them.
I also didn't really understand the story...in fact I didn't really think there was a story here.
I also didn't like the authors style of writting. On one page one of the mothers would be alive, the next page she is dead, then she's alive again, etc. He kept switching between present time and paste and from when he was 10 to when he was 12, etc. He did this within the same chapters. It was easy to follow...I just didn't like it.
So..overall...I can't say I hated the book, I just never liked any of the charactors and just didn't care for.
new author/fiction/dnf/254

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've finally found someone else who didn't like this book. Like you, I didn't care for any of the characters, especially Owen. I finished it, but would never want to read it again or recommend it to anyone else.

JoanneMarie Faust said...

I really enjoyed this book. I know that my ex and I recommended it to a few people and some weren't as crazy about it as we were.

If you didn't like the characters, you couldn't be expected to like or finish the book. Your feelings about the characters absolutely makes or breaks a book.