Thursday, August 23, 2007

Life's a Beach by Claire Cook



This is a story of a 41-year old who lives in the garage apartment at her parents house. She doesn't have a job, has a kinda boyfriend, and a wacky family. Throughout this book she deals with her older sister who is turning 50 and freaking out about it, her Mom insisting they sell the house, her Dad that keeps going to the dump to drop stuff off but instead returning with garbage bags full of stuff.

This books follows Ginger as she tries to figure out what she is doing with her life. As her parents are getting ready to sell the house she knows she will have to rent her own apartment and that requires her to either get a job or make more of her jewelry and hope it sells. The only problem is that her cat seems to be more talented at it than she is. Her nephew lands a part in a movie being filmed in their town and then later in a town close by, so she is in charge of watching him. While on the movie set she catches the eye of a gaffer....and she is interested...but she does sorta have a boyfriend.

I have not read books by this author before. I have to say that at first I just wanted to tell Ginger to grow up - it's time she got a job and moved out on her own and didn't rely on her parents and sister. But then the more I read the more I liked her. You realize that she really is just in a slump and needs a push to get going. I also thought she was funny and witty and several comments throughout the book made me smile. Overall I have to say that I did enjoy the book and it was a quick read for me. I know others who like this author but didn't think this was the best of her books. So...since I liked this one I'll be sure to read more of her books later.

new author/fiction/250pgs

No comments: