Monday, April 28, 2008

The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison


I believe this might be the 6th book in the series. I know it's not the first, but you would probably want to check to verify exactly what number it is.
I'm going to start by saying that overall, I enjoyed the book. However, I believe that because it was the first I have read in this series, I didn't like it as much as I would have otherwise. There was so many things different about this book, that the author didn't go into great detail about. I don't blame the author at all....it just makes it where I was confused or not really understanding some things. I definitely believe this is one of those series where you need to read it from the beginning and read it in order.
Rachel is a witch. She is attacked by the demon Al. This attack wasn't expected because Al is supposed to be in jail in the ever-after. Another demon shows up and explains that Al has been escaping at night, somebody is summoning him out. Until they can find whoever is doing this, Rachel must stay on holy ground until after the sun comes up. Now Rachel must figure out who is summoning Al and get them to stop. Let's mix into the mess the fact that her boyfriend was recently killed by a vampire. Rachel, along with her vampire roommate Ivy, are trying to figure out who the vampire was. Let's also mix the elf, Trent. He wants Rachel to go into the ever-after and receive a sample of old elf DNA that could be used to save the unborn baby of one of Rachel's elf friend. The ever-after is where the demon's live and it's hard to get out of there a live.
As you can see there is a lot of different things going on in the book. If I had started at the beginning I would have a lot more info on the history between Rachel and her friends and enemies. This would help me understand the story a lot better.
I did like Rachel and Jenks, her pixie friend/side-kick. I liked several of the other characters too. I think this book is one of those that you will probably only like if you like books on witches and demons, etc. I liked it enough that I plan to start with book one and read the series up to this one.
new author/fiction/pg. 455

No comments: