Sunday, October 26, 2008

Napoleon's Privates by Tony Perrottet




This is a non-fiction book. The author has researched several myths and other aspects of history and given us the real truth. Such as....did Catherine the Great really die while having sex with a horse? That was actually one I was happy to see in the book because I had always heard that rumor but didn't know where it came from or why. (or heck...is it even a rumor?).

There were parts in this book about just about everything. Some I had heard of, many others I had not. I found the chapter on the French Impotence Trials very interesting. Who knew there was such a thing!

It's hard to review this type of book. There were so many things covered that I couldn't possibly mention them all. I thought I would quote from the book for a couple of things though.

There was one section on George Washington and if he had an affair with another women. At the end of the chapter the author gives us some facts about Washington. I felt this one was pretty funny: "According to reports of his fellow officers, George loved dirty jokes - but unfortunately, none of his favorites survive". Doesn't that just make you want to know what those jokes were? haha!

In another chapter the author was talking about how the Church created literature on different sexual positions and the suggested punishment if somebody did one (or more!) of the listed items. At the end of the chapter the author wrote: "By the 1400s, it seems, the church had to give up on such detailed analysis, possible because the congregation was beginning to get ideas". haha! I just thought that was pretty funny.

Another chapter talked about JFK and his many affairs. I thought the entire chapter was rather interesting. This is definitely something that I had not heard of about this president.

oh, and the last chapter is about the titanic. The author gives the breakdown on how many men and women from each of the designated classes survived. I thought that was interesting. I'm sure we can all assume that more rich survived, but it's interesting to see the numbers.

The chapters are really short, but that's good. I felt they were just the right length thought. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others. In fact..some of the chapters are short enough that you could find this at a bookstore, read one or two, and decide if it's the right book for you.







Have you reviewed this book on your blog? If so please let me know and I'll link to it.
Sorry, no reviews yet



(new author.non-fiction. 224)

No comments: