Saturday, December 27, 2008

Good Design Can Change Your Life by Ty Pennington


Copy Right: 2008

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Genre: House & Home/Non-Fiction

Pages: 240

New-to-me author? Yes


 

Simple description:

I took this from Amazon.com, Ty Pennington does have his own website but when you click on the book it takes you to amazon, so that's where I copied this from: ocusing on the three most important parts of your home -- sleeping spaces, living spaces, and working spaces -- Ty offers low-cost, high-impact ideas for every budget. You'll learn how to express your personality and your passions in your design and how to get the most out of small spaces and limited time. Whether you want to create a welcoming living room that helps you connect with friends and family, a restful bedroom that lets you face the day energized and optimistic, or a streamlined home office that keeps you productive, Ty has some great ideas to share. From the elegant to the funky, the whimsical to the restful; from walls, floors, and lighting to storage, wallpaper, and fabric -- it's all here, infused with Ty's vitality and great style, along with the emotional stories of the people who changed his life as much as the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition crew changed theirs. 


 

Why did I read this book?

As most, if not all, of you know, Husband and myself moved into a new house this past April and immediately re-did the entire kitchen. I was also excited to know that I would get to re-do every room. While in some rooms, such as the bedroom, this meant just painting it and getting new window treatments, in others, such as the dining room, it meant new flooring, new lights, etc. We still have the bathrooms and some other rooms to tackle too. I thought this would be an interesting book to read because it would include stories of the homes he has done for Extreme Makeover Home Edition as well as tips on decorating your own home.

About the book:

Basically..this book is Ty's ideas on how you can transform a room to be functional but cool, an expression of yourself. He gives tips on how to find your style and make it work in a room. He also includes stories about some of the work he has done for Extreme Makeover Home Edition. He'll mention a family or person and why they were selected, then tell you what his special project was. He explains what he did and how he came up with the idea. While most of the ideas wouldn't work for me, I loved reading about it and seeing pictures. I admit to liking the show, but not watching it a lot. Why don't I watch it? No idea, it's just one of those weird things about me. The book made me really think about my house and how it's decorated so far and what I could possible do to make it more "us". Ok, fine, I admit that the room I've thought of the most is the one that will be my library. Haha!

What I liked most:

Oh, well, I kinda mentioned it above. I liked reading about the person he designed the room for, where he got his inspiration, and seeing pictures of the finished room.

Was there something I didn't like?

While I understood why there were several pictures of Ty Pennington in the book, I could have done without it. Sure, put his picture on the front and back cover, but not on the inside. I would rather see pictures of the work he has done, not him. That's what the books about after all.

Do I recommend the book?

I do. While I don't see the need to hang onto this book, I think it's a great book to read and pass on to others. I think it might help you get an idea of what you would like to do with a room or at least point in the direction to find what you might want to do.


 


 

Ok..and here's some fun. On one page of the book it lists your primary colors and what kind of mood it sets and what it says about a person who loves that color. So here is what it says about the color green. I figured at this point I just have to admit that green is my favorite color because I noticed awhile ago that I was beginning to buy a lot of green items…purses, shoes, clothes, wall color, etc. So…it's got to be my favorite right?

Green:

Mood: Balanced, restful

Who loves it: Green lovers are usually tree huggers; that is, they're outdoorsy and into the environment. If green is your favorite color, you're probably very down to earth.

Hmm…I can't decide if that describes me or not. I'm very much into recycling and doing things that are earth friendly. I wouldn't say I'm very outdoorsy though. Sure, I grew up backpacking and camping, but that's really not my cup of tea. I like to visit places such as Yellowstone, etc, but I prefer to take a hike while there or sleep in a tent.


 

Ok, here was another fun thing. It was a test on your style. There were 8 questions, answers were A-F. You then read what style you are based on which letter you selected most often. I actually was tied between two letters, "A" and "C".

A: style is minimalist. I'm not going to type everything it said..but here's a snippit: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably don't have lace curtains in your dining room, fringe on your pillows, or Grranimals in your closet. Chances are, you like a home that's clean and modern and maybe you even stick to a palette of all white. You're undoubtedly up on the latest in art, music, and design. You're hip, your mod, you know what's going on.

C: style is traditionalist. You tend to keep things the same. I'm willing to bet that you've got lots of family heirlooms in your home and those pieces that haven't been handed down look like they could have been.


 

Ok…so A is more like me that C. So I went back to the questions that I answered "C" on and found it funny that with 2 of them, I had been torn between A and C. So A is definitely more fitting for me. Except..I love color. I like bold, dark colors. In the rooms we have worked on, almost all the white walls were changed. One room is orange, another brown with blue accent pieces. The kitchen is a beige but I'm sure I'll change that in a couple of years. The family room has white on most walls, but grey-blue on the accent wall. So yeah, I'm a minimalist, but one who loves a splash of color.


 


 

Have you reviewed this book on your blog? If so let me know and I'll link it below.

Sorry, no linked reviews yet


 

Happy Reading…and thanks for stopping by! Kris

3 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

Sounds neat. Hubby and I are buying a home soon, I might have to see if my library has this.

Anonymous said...

I think you're brave to re-do a house. I tell the realtor that we need a house that's move in ready.

Unknown said...

ladytink - good luck with the house hunting! It took us about 4 months to find the house we are in now, it was worth it though.

Bermudaonion - sometimes I wish we had found a house that was move-in ready. haha! While we aren't great at doing everything ourselves, the only way we were able to get into the area we wanted and the subdivision we are in, was to find one that needed lots of love. The work sucks...but for us it was worth it (most days anyway. haha!)