Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sisters of Misery by Megan Kelley Hall


Copy Right: 2008
Publisher: Kensington
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 308
New-to-me author? yes

Simple description:
I took the following from the author’s website:
There are some girls who have everything…She has the right clothes, the right friends, and the right last name, but fifteen-year-old Maddie Crane sometimes feels like an outsider in her clique in the wealthy, seaside town of Hawthorne, Massachusetts. And when her gorgeous, eccentric cousin Cordelia LeClaire moves to town, Maddie is drawn toward her ethereal, magical spirit and teeters even more toward the edge of her friends’ tightly-knit circle...Then there are the jealous ones…Kate Endicott and the Sisters of Misery—a secret clique of the most popular, powerful girls in school—are less than thrilled by Cordelia’s arrival. When Kate’s on-again, off-again boyfriend Trevor takes an interest in Cordelia, the Sisters of Misery become determined to make her pay…Now Maddie must choose between the allure and power of the Sisters of Misery and her loyalty to her beloved cousin. But she’ll have to give up on ever fitting in and accept the disturbing truth about the town, her friends, her mysterious cousin, and even herself as she faces the terrifying wrath of the Sisters of Misery…

Why did I read this book?
One of the quote’s on the book said “Exciting, dangerous, and mysterious!”
Who can pass up a book with a quote like that? Plus, the story did sound interesting.

About the book:
Maddie Crain is a 15 year old girl who does what is expected of her. Her mother wanted her to be friends with the girls she hangs out with, but Maddie doesn’t really like them. She especially doesn’t like Kate Endicott. Kate is mean and “makes” the other girls who are involved in Sisters of Mercy do things they don’t want to do. Then Maddie’s aunt and her cousin, Cordelia, come to the small town to live. Cordelia is beautiful. She’s also an outsider. She is immediately on Kate’s sh*t list.
Then one night, things go too far and Cordelia disappears. Maddie knows the Sisters of Mercy had something to do with it, but she can’t remember most of the night. She doesn’t tell her family or the authorities about where Cordelia really was that day or what happened. She knows that if she does, Kate will make her life hell.
As can be expected, Maddie’s family crumbles and falls apart. After several months she decides to try and figure out what happened to Cordelia herself. Then she starts to get threatening letters in the mail. Soon she begins to find out stuff that she didn’t know before, including some family secrets.


What I liked most:
Nothing. I know, that’s being mean, but I didn’t like the book. I finished it only because I actually did want to know what happened to Cordelia and how the story would end.

Was there something I didn't like?
Maddie was a very week character. She knows that some of the stuff she does and that happens is wrong, but doesn’t do anything about it because she’s afraid of what Kate will do to her. I wouldn’t let most of this stuff happen, no matter what the consequences were to me. She doesn’t even like these girls, yet goes along with whatever they say and do. So I really didn’t like Maddie and that ruined the whole book for me. Most of the time I wanted to tell Maddie to grow up and stand up for herself and what she believes.

Do I recommend the book?
Not really. Unfortunately I didn’t like the writing very much either. I wish I had something positive to say. Hmm…oh..I got it. I think the story itself was a good idea, I just didn’t like the characters or how the story was really told. I do hate to give negative reviews. So hopefully one of you has read this one and had better views, then I can link it below and feel better.

Have you reviewed this book on your blog? If so let me know and I'll link it below.
Sorry, no linked reviews yet


Happy Reading…and thanks for stopping by! Kris

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Thanks for the honest review. I won't bother picking this one up.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - you're welcome! I hate giving negative reviews, but I gotta be honest.