Thursday, December 18, 2008

Schooled by Anisha Lakhani



I thought I would try something new. I love the book reviews that Bookfool does on her blog, so I thought I would steal her idea. I don't think she'll mind, it's a compliment!!!


Book: Schooled by Anisha Lakhani


Copy Right: 2008


Publisher and genre: Hyperion, Fiction


Pages: 368




Simple description:


Anna Taggart graduates from Columbia University and gets a teaching position at a private school in the Upper East side of Manhattan. Her parents believe she is wasting her education, but she is passionate about teaching and knows this is what she wants to do with her life. Then she meets the students and worse, their mothers. She soon realizes that the majority of the students don't do their own work; the tutors do it. The parents get upset whenever she sends homework home. The school gets upset if she appears to be actually teaching. She soon realizes that her dream to inspire young children is being halted. Plus, the pay check sucks. Then, she is asked to tutor a child at another school. She realizes that if she tutor's for $200 an hour, she can afford some nice furniture and designer clothes and accessories. However, she has to turn a blind eye to the work her students turn in and she also has to stop really teaching them.


Why did I read this book?


Honestly, I was asked to review it. I know, I don't normally admit that in my reviews. Why you ask? I don't want readers to think that I'm giving a book a positive review just because I got it for free. I'm honest, no matter what. So that being said…I guess I could answer the question of: Why did I accept this book for review? I thought it would be a fun book. On the back cover it says "In the tradition of The Nanny Diaries, a vibrant debut novel about a young teacher in an elite private school who walks into a windfall—and a world she never could have imagined—when she becomes a homework tutor to the children of New York's super-rich." How could I possibly pass up this book?




About the book:


Anna struggles with trying to do what she loves, teaching, and also fitting in at the school. Oh, and let's not forget making the Mom's happy. She soon realizes that if she gives the students homework, she'll have a voicemail from every mother by the time she gets home. It's not fair to give the kids that much work. When she see's another teacher actually doing one of her students work, her world crumbles. Could it possibly be that the kids aren't actually doing the work. Then she is asked to tutor and realizes there is a lot of money to be made. However, she struggles with making lots of money and buying name brand clothes, but then not actually teaching the children anything and not doing what she set out to do.


What I liked most:


I thought it was a fun book. Parts of it were funny, parts were serious. It's a book that seems to be making fun at the ubber rich, yet sometimes I wondered if parts were actually true (but just embellished). For me, it was a great book that kept my interest but didn't make me think to much. During the Holidays, that's the perfect type of book for me.


Was there something I didn't like?


Well, this was a review copy, so there were grammatical errors and other errors I noticed. However, not that many. My hope is that official published version doesn't contain any of it.


Do I recommend the book?


I do, really, honestly, I do. I have read The Nanny Diaries and enjoyed it. This seems like the same type of book. So if you have read that one, give this one a try. I really enjoyed this one and tried to think of ways to sneak in reading at work. I actually took my allowed breaks a couple of times just so I could read more of this story.






Have you reviewed this book on your blog? If so let me know and I'll link it below


Sorry, no reviews yet






Happy Reading…and thanks for stopping by! Kris




(new author.fiction.368pages)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one's been on my radar for a while - thanks for the review.

Kristie said...

I read this book as well and enjoyed it. I was shocked by the extent that some parents went to, though I guess I shouldn't say that. I see some things that parents do and is astounds me and can only imagine it is at a higher level in New York City.

I don't know about you, but I love NYC and whenever I read about it, it makes me want to go and visit! I thought the author made NYC really alive in the book as well. I did review this on my blog.

Bookfool said...

Thank you for the compliment, Kris. :) I don't mind at all. I'm not even sure where I got the original set of questions, but I alter them to suit my needs -- looks like you did, as well.

The book sounds interesting. The cover made me think it was going to be a little bit lighter than it sounds in your review, so now it's more appealing.