Wednesday, December 24, 2008

‘Tis the Season! By Lorna Landvik



Copy Right: 2008


Publisher and genre: Ballantine Books/Fiction


Pages:223


Challenges: none


Simple description:


I couldn't find a website for the author, which really baffles me, so I took the following from Bookreporter.com:


The novel hits directly on the timely topic of celebrity and our culture's obsession with it. The main character is Caroline "Caro" Dixon, a wealthy heiress whose hard-partying, alcohol-fueled lifestyle is food for the entertainment media's biggest bottom-feeder tabloids. After a particularly wild bender, she finds herself ostracized by her entire circle and decides to finally dry out and get some help. She begins tentatively reaching out to some people from her past with whom she had genuine relationships --- Astrid Brevald, her Norwegian nanny from her teenage years, and Cyril Dale, a cowboy and owner of an Arizona dude ranch where Caro spent some time during an especially rough patch in her childhood. Through these reconnections, the story of these characters begins to unfold, and 'TIS THE SEASON! explores what it means to forgive and be forgiven.




Why did I read this book?


I have read other books by the author and really enjoyed them. I didn't have any Christmas books to read this season and I saw this and knew it would be perfect.


About the book:


Basically it's a story about one a young girl is out of control. She is ruining her own life and others, and it's blabbed about all over the internet and in the papers. The good thing is that she realizes she's out of control and decides to go into rehab and get help. As one of the 12 steps she contacts people she has wronged. She contacts her nanny, Astrid, from when she was 13. She also contacts a cowboy, Cyril, that she met when she was sent to his ranch when her family wanted to get her out of their way. These two individuals appreciate Caro contacted them and write her back. This starts a series of emails where the three of them connect and the two adults help Caro get her life back on track. Things come together close to Christmas when they all meet at the ranch to spend the holiday together.


This book is written in email format, for the most part. I really like that format. The very beginning it's somewhat confusing trying to keep track of everyone, but pretty soon it makes sense.


What I liked most:


I just liked the story. It's one where you assume it's going to have a happy ending, but that's what I expected and wanted. I loved the charactors, I wish I could meet Astrid and Cyril, they sounded wonderful. I would also like to visit Cyril at his ranch. It sounded like a very relaxing place to be and live.


Was there something I didn't like?


Well, no, not really.


Do I recommend the book?


Absolutely! If you are in need of a book that has a happy ending, this is a great book. While the book doesn't take place entirely at Christmas time, it does end during the Holiday, which in my book makes it a great read for December.






Have you reviewed this book on your blog? If so let me know and I'll link it below


This book has been reviewed by:


Bookfan-Mary




Happy Reading…and thanks for stopping by! Kris

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love books like that this time of year. Thanks for the review.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - Thanks! and thank you for stopping in to read and comment, it really does make my day.

I agree...love books like this during the holiday season.

Ladytink_534 said...

I have her Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons but I haven't read it yet. My mom really loved it.

I think she uses her Random House page as her official site