Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Hot Flash Club Chills Out by nancy Thayer

Copyright: 2007
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Genre: fiction
Pages: 333
Challenges: 2009 Read-your-own books
New-to-me author? No

Simple Description:
The women are all stressed out and when they get the opportunity to stay at a house in Nantucket for the summer, it seems that will only stress them out more. Shirley convinces them this would be a great opportunity, so while some do it willingly, others do it almost because they feel they have to. While in Nantucket, each person has something different and wonderful happen to them.

Shirley is in a relationship with a man that the other women approve of, but that she finds boring. One day she is out riding a bike when she meets a man (her age!) that she finds attractive. Could this be what she is waiting for?

Alice is busy taking care of her granddaughter, Aly, everyday. She is so tired that when she gets home, she doesn't want to do anything but take a nap. She doesn't want this holiday, she feels she has to be there for her son. However she does get the rest she needs while on vacation.

Marilyn has her hands full. Her mother lives in the basement apartment. Ian's son lives in the attic and soon they have another person living with them. She is so busy with school and taking care of her mother, that she doesn't have much time with Ian. How are they ever going to plan the wedding?

Polly is feeling the stress of watching over all the ladies sewing her line of clothing for the Haven. It was more than she expected and more than she wants. She's also not sure what to do about Hugh. She loves him, but is tired of him always putting his ex-wife first.

Faye loves Nantucket from the very beginning. She has found that it's the perfect place for her to paint, something she hasn't wanted to do in awhile and is just getting back into. Will she be able to get as much of Nantucket in as she wants, or will Aubrey get in the way?

Why did I read this book?
I believe this is the 4th in the series. I have enjoyed the others and wanted to finish the series (or at least what's written so far, I don't know if the author will be writing more or not)

What I liked most?
I liked the extra story line in this one. They are staying at a house because the owner can't get there this summer and she wants somebody there because things are beginning to go missing. While the women are there, things still disappear. I liked this aspect of the book a lot.

Was there something I didn't like?
I hate to say it, but the women got on my nerves at times. I thought there was a lot of bickering in this book and just didn't like it. I honestly don't know if it was more than in the other books, or if it just annoyed me this time. Either way, I could have done with out.

Do I recommend this book?
I do! I think this is a fun series. I think there are a lot of funny things that happen. The women in the story are in their 60's, so at least 30 years older than I am. So while I don't go through hot flashes or have to deal with things they do (yet!), I still enjoyed it. I definitely think the "older" crowd would enjoy these books. I'll also say that this isn't a series I can read back to back. I need a break in-between the books.


If you have reviewed this book, please let me know and I'll link it below.

Sorry, no reviews yet.

4 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

My mom would probably like this!

Unknown said...

Ladytink - I recommended this series to my Mom, she is 62 now, and she enjoys them, so I'm sure your Mom probably would too.

Anna said...

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention. I've only read the first book in the series. I didn't realize there were others.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Unknown said...

Anna - you are welcome! I hope you enjoy the rest in the series.