Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Murder is Binding by Lorna Barrett

Copyright: 2008
Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 271
Challenges: Read-your-own-books, 1st in a series, Cozy mystery
New-to-me author? yes
Author's website

Simple Description
Tricia Miles is new to the town of Stoneham in New Hampshire. She operates a mystery bookstore by the name of Haven't Got a Clue. Things are going well until she finds out that her sister is unexpectedly in town. She loves her sister, but the two of them never really got along very well. Then, when her sister insists on seeing the shop, they find that the bookstore next to Tricia's, The Cookery, has a fire. When Tricia goes inside to try and put it out she finds the owner, dead. The local sheriff believes that Tricia killed the woman. To make matters worse a rare book was stolen from the Cookery and is found in Tricia's store. Tricia thinks that Bob, the man who owns the stores and they all pay rent to, is the killer. However Angelica, Tricia's sister, doesn't believe that to be true. Soon the clues point to a guy who is running for a local government position. Tricia goes to the Sheriff with the information she has, but that doesn't work out so well, it just makes the sheriff more determined to put Tricia behind bars. Meanwhile Angelica thinks it's the dead woman's sister who is behind the murder.

Why did I read this book?
I love cozy mysteries and my friend Barbara, who passed away earlier this year, really enjoyed this book and thought I would too.

What I liked most:
You know, it didn't always feel like I was reading a mystery and I liked that. There was a lot going on with Tricia and her employees and her sister. That's what made this book so enjoyable for me. Yeah, I do love a mystery, so I did love that aspect of it, but I also loved the interaction between the characters and all the stuff that was going on. I loved that the story flowed so well and kept my interest.

Was there something I didn't like?
Not really – I was very happy with this book.

Do I recommend the book?
Absolutly! If you like cozy mysteries – I think this is a book for you. If you don't read a ton of mysteries but once in awhile you like a light one, I bet you would like this one too. The second in the series was published earlier this year and I can't wait to read it. I feel like this is a series that I will soon say I enjoy reading as much as I love the Joanne Fluke series.

Oh..and the sister loves to cook and I'm happy to report that there are recipes for some of the dishes in the back of the book. I'm personally interested in trying a couple of them.

This book has also been reviewed by:
Kittling Books

Bibliophile by the Sea

The Book Resort

Have you reviewed this book on your blog? Leave me a comment to let me know and I'll link it below.



Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by……Kris


10 comments:

Jeanette said...

I've had this book in my TBR pile for awhile now. I was planning on doing a lot of mystery reading this year and here it is June and I have not read a single one! I need to get on that.

bermudaonion said...

What a wonderful way to remember your friend.

Beth F said...

I think I'll have to give this series a try. I too love cozies.

Unknown said...

Jeanette - I know what you mean - I wanted to read a lot more cozies this year but that hasn't really happened either. HOpe you enjoy this one.

Bermudaonion - Thanks..Barbara was always on top of new cozies mysteries and woudl recommend new ones too me, I'm going to miss that.

Beth - I bet you would like this one too. The mystery is good and the characators are great.

BookAddict said...

I am definitely going to read this one this month. Love cozies!

Ladytink_534 said...

I really want to read this series SO bad! I just have to find the time to...

Unknown said...

Bookaddict - cool! Can't wait to see your thoughts on it.

ladytink - do read it when you get a chance! I'm hoping I can pass my last test in the next couple of weeks and then I can spend my summer floating around the pool and reading fun books!

The Book Resort said...

Here's my review link

http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/search/label/A%20Booktown%20Mystery

Literary Feline said...

What a coincidence! I was just considering whether I should buy this one or not and here is your review! It looks like I should go ahead and do so. It does sound good.

Unknown said...

The Book Resort - I've added your link -thanks!

Literary Feline - Glad I could help make up your mind. :) I've actually read only positive reviews on this one, so I think you will like it. I actually bought the 2nd in the series yesterday, even though I need to read some of my challenge books first - I was too excited not to buy it. haha!