Friday, July 31, 2009

Big Cherry Holler by Adriana Trigiani

Copyright: 2001
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 270
Challenges: 2009 Read your own books,
New-to-me author? No
Author's website

Simple Description:
This book is the 2nd in the Big Stone Gap series. It takes place 7 years from where Big Stone Gap ends. At this point Ave Maria has been married for 8 years. She has had 2 children, although one passed away about 3 years ago.

Jack and Ave Maria's marriage is in trouble. Jack loses his job and Ave thinks she is doing what is right but instead her response and actions hurt Jack. Things move forward in her life, things that she doesn't discuss with Jack first. Jack is also trying to move forward in hopes of being the provider for his family.

Things get tricky when the family is supposed to go to Italy for part of the summer and Jack backs out at the last minute. Rumors are that he is having an affiar however Ave Maria doesn't do much better while in Italy.

Will Ave Maria and Jack be able to save their marriage?


Now what you really want to know…my thoughts:

I remember liking Big Stone Gap but I'm not sure I liked this one. Well, let me rephrase that. I wasn't too into the book at first but liked it more as I got further along, however I don't think I liked it enough to continue with the series. Here's part of my problem. I didn't read the back that said this book takes place 7 years after the last one. So imagine my surprise when I start reading it and so many years have gone by. I'm confused and thinking I skipped a book. Plus, you learn about their son's death as they think about it, but you don't get the entire story at once..you get it in parts. That kinda annoyed me. I also admit that when I read a series I prefer the books to follow closer together in regards to amount of time that has passed. I'm not saying it has to pick up exactly where the other left off, but within a year. 7 years was just too much for me. I know this series has gotten a lot of good reviews though, so maybe try to find some of those before making up your mind. I will also say that I read Lucia, Lucia by this author several years ago and absolutley loved it! So it's not really the author that I wont' read again, it's just this particulat series that I don't think I'll continue with.


Have you reviewed this book on your blog? Leave me a comment to let me know and I’ll link it below.

Sorry, no linked reviews yet.

Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by……Kris


2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I loved the Big Stone Gap series, but I do think this is the weakest book of the bunch. My husband is from the Shenandoah Valley and I think Adriana Trigiani gets the accent and feel of the are just perfect.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - since you think this is the weakest in the series - do you think it's worth it for me to try the next one - give the series one more chance?