Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran


Copyright: 2009
Publisher: Random House - Crown
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 422
Challenges: None
New-to-me Author: No
Author's Website


Simple Description:
The book starts with the fall of the Egyption empire and the death of Cleopatra (or Kleopatra) and Marc Antony. Their twins, Alexander and Selena, are taken to Rome by Ceasar. They are treated as citizans and live in his sisters house, they aren't treated like prisoners (well, not in the sense we think of when we think prisoner). Alexander and Selena know that once they turn 15 and are considered grown-ups they will be married off. They hope they can return to Egypt and rebuild it, but don't think that will happen.

There is some unrest in Rome, the servents seem to have somebody fighting for them. The Red Eagle. He knows how to write, he knows what is going on. He posts letters on the doors of the Senate. He sparkes riots. Ceasar needs to have this person killed but is never able to find him or anybody who has seen him.

Selena has a passion for architecture. She is lucky enough to be able to learn under the architecture who is designing buildings for Ceasar and his sister. She knows that if she wants to live, she has to be of some use to Ceasar.

What will happen to Alexander and Selena? Will they survive? Will they ever be able to return to Egypt?

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
I loved this book! I've read Nefertiti but this author and enjoyed it so I was super thrilled to be offered this one for review too. I was supposed to have the review on my blog yesterday, I apologize for being a day late. Time got away from me and I didn't have a chance to finish the book till yesterday. ok, so back to the book. While Alexander is Selena's brother and is a major charactor in the book, Selena is the one you follow the most (hence the title). This is basically her story. It shows how she was taken from her home, where she was tutored and treated like an equal to her brother, to Rome. A place where she is inferior to her brother and basically knows that she has no rights or a say in her life. She is often outraged by the things Romans do, such as getting rid of babies they don't want because they are female or for other reasons. She speaks her mind, when she shouldn't. Selena is a great charactor. I liked a lot of the other charactor's too. Overall, very good book and I think it's one that historical fiction buffs will enjoy.
I admit that since I didn't finish this book till 10pm yesterday, I didn't read all of the author's notes or historical info yet. I also admit that I am horrible with historical facts. So I can't personally make a decent judgement on if things were historically accurate or not.

See the trailer below. For some reason I really like it. haha! I've already watched it about 3 times this morning and thought I would share with my readers.


3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm really anxious to read one of Moran's book since everyone seems to love them.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - I think they are really good historical fiction, they kind that keep you interested and gives you details but not soo many details that it interferes with the story.

Literary Feline said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Kris. I can't wait to read it. I really liked Nefertiti.