Friday, September 11, 2009

Deadly Charm by Claudia Mair Burney -DNF


Copyright: 2009
Publisher: Howard Fiction
Genre: Mystery
Pages:DNF
Challenges: None
New-to-me Author: yes
Author's Website


I didn't even make it to 100 pages in this book, made it to chapter 7 and had to stop. Here's the thing, it's not the first book in the series. So I was rather confused by everything going on. Now, if that had been the only issue, I would have continued with it and I'm sure all would have been ok. However, there is one other detail that kept bugging me. It seems like the author is preaching to me. I really don't like that. I'm ok that that book dealt with a pastor's son being killed and knowing that there would be some religous aspect to it. But, it doesn't stop there. The main charactor is very religous and it's just a major part of the story. There are a lot of lines like this: "I had a lot to talk to God about when we had our private time..." pg. 72
If those weren't so common, ok, maybe I would have kept going, but they were constant. I'm just not somebody who enjoys that. It seemed way over the top for me and turned me off. I'm not a follower of Christian lit but imagine this is similar to that. So if you like that genre, then you might be interested in this series. It's just not the thing for me and I felt like I was wasting my time reading it.

I did look up this book on amazon to see what others thought. There were a lot of positive reviews, glad to see that. There was one review that only gave it one star, and the user didn't finish the book. The user pointed out a lof of other things that bothered me about the book that I didn't address here. So I wanted to include a link to the Amazon page for this book, click HERE. This way my readers can get others reviews.

No comments: