Monday, February 22, 2010

Spinning Forward by Terri Dulong

Copyright: 2009
Publisher: Kensington
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 301
Challenges: New Author
Author's Website



Simple Description:
Sydney recently moved to Cedar Key Florida to spend some time with her best friend Allison.  Sydney's husbad was killed in a car accident, leaving her a widow in her 50's.  If that wasn't enough, not long after his death Sydney lost the house due to gambling debt.  It seems her husband was a gambler and lost all their money, she never had a clue.    Sydney hasn't worked as an RN since her daughter was born, what is she possibly going to do for a living now?

Allison convinced Sydney to open up a knitting/yarn store.   Allison got a job as a waitress and saved her money and got a loan and made it possible.  She has some doubt that it will work, some early set-backs that make her feel like a failure, but it's the one thing she knows how to do, knit.

Noah has an interest in Sydney.  It seems they fight like cats and dogs when they are around each other, but he can't help asking her out on a date.  Sydney accepts, he is a very handsome man, but her daughter isn't to happy with the situation.

Throughout this story, Sydney has to cope with the tragedies that have recently befallen her and also figure out who she is.  She is adopted and she thinks her birth mother also lives in Cedar Key, but she doesn't really like this woman.  Will knowing who her birth parents are help her figure out who she is and where she fits in life?

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts:
I thought Spinning Forward was ok.  I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.  I liked it enough to want to know what was going to happen and continue reading it.  I think part of what got me was that Sydney was so negative.  She didn't believe in herself, people didn't treat her right, etc.  I realize that part of that is what made the story because this is a story of individual discovery, but sometimes it annoyed me.  This is also the first book by the author and I think that showed.  Things didn't always flow as well as one would expect.

This book has gotten a lot of praise, so maybe it just wasn't the book for me.

I did accept this book for review, but it appears I didn't save the email and I can't remember who I got it from.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Thanks for your honest review. I have this one to read - now my expectations won't be too high.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - You're welcome. I'm interested to see what you think of the book once you finish it too.