Thursday, January 20, 2011

Matched by Ally Condie

#1 Matched
Copyright: 2010
Publisher: Dutton
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 384
Challenges: New Author Challenge, Young Adult
Book Website
My rating:  3/5

Simple Description:
I actually think the book trailer is decent for this one so I'm going to share it because it does explain the book a bit.



From the video, you get an idea of how the world works according to the Society.  The thing is, when Cassie is matched she was given a data card for her match.  The next day when she views it, the data card shows who she was matched to but then changes and shows another boy she knows.  She becomes interested  in this other boy. Even though she has known him, she learns a bit more about him and that sparks her interest.

She knows she shouldn't be hanging out with him but she does anyway.  She soon starts to realize that the officials and the society aren't always right and don't always know what is best.  She starts to break some rules, but just a little bit.

Soon she must decide what she is going to do.  Will she risk all for the guy she wasn't matched with but is now in love with?  Or will she continue with life the way it was before she really got to know him?

Now what you really want to know....my thoughts: 
My husband had actually pointed this book out to me and jokingly said "You should get a review copy of this book so I can read it."  I thought it was be a cool surprise if I really could get a review copy for him and went hunting. I'm happy to report that I was able to get one sent to me and surprised him with it.

Unfortunately, I don't think he liked it as much as he had wanted to.  Here's his reply when I emailed him and asked him for his thoughts:
It was okay.  The lady is a pretty good writer but I'm not sure if it was worth it after it was all said and done.  It was like you enjoy reading it and then at the end you say 'What was the point?'  the main character seemed like one of those people who you invite to a party and complains the whole time about wishing to be somewhere else and then you ask her what she would want to change and she can't think of anything and she just won't leave.  So maybe next time they won't invite her and we can all have a better time.


I think you have to take his review with a grain of salt though, since he started reading last year he's only really enjoyed one book.


As far as my thoughts on the book.   I actually thought the writing was ok but could have been better. So we differ in opinion there.  I can see where he was coming from when he says that the feeling after finishing the book is "wtf?".  However, I did enjoy it.  I thought the story moved along well.  I was interested in what was going on and what kind of decisions Cassia would make.  I could also understand why she was a bit wishy-washy and hesitant on making a real decision. If all you knew was the Society as she knows it, I think you would be the same way.  


The book is definitely left without finishing the story, but I was kind of expecting that. I assumed that it wouldn't be wrapped up in one book and would be left open for at least one more.  Which, according to the website the next should be released this fall.   


Husband and I actually discussed this book the other day and I mentioned that it was left without a definite end because there was going to be at least one more in the series.  He thinks it could have been wrapped up in one book, and a smaller one at that. I agree with him, I think the story would have been excellent if it had moved a bit faster and was combined in one book. I can see why the author didn't do that though. Perhaps drawing it out longer means the sequel will start off with a bang and there won't be as much background info (explaining how the Society works, etc).  I guess only time will tell.  I, for one, look forward to the next in the series.  As for Husband, my guess is that he would read it just to see what happens. 





Thanks to Dutton for providing this book for review.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Hm, I'm not sure if this will be for me or not. I don't like it when they drag books on longer than necessary.

Taminator said...

I really liked this one! I guess I just love dystopian societies.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - Yeah..it's a toss up. I did like the book, but I can see why Husband wasn't crazy about it.

Taminator - I don't read too many dystopian society books but I've enjoyed the ones I've read so far.

Literary Feline said...

I remember reading a synopsis about this one and being curious. I don't know if this is one I will actually read but I was glad to have both your husband's and your take on it.

Unknown said...

Literary Feline - I think Husband's reviews are always funny..he doesn't try to sugar coat it at all. lol