Thursday, December 22, 2011

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

#1 Morganville Vampires
Copyright: 206
Publisher: NAL Jam
Genre: YA
Pages: 256
Author's Website
My rating:  3/5

Simple Description:
Claire Danver's may only be 16 but she's a college freshman. She's super smart and driven.   She wanted to go to a prestigious college, one she was accepted to but her parents insisted she go to a state college and then transfer later on.   So that's how she ended up in Morganville. 

That's how she ended up running into Monica, the head bully in the girls dorm.  After one horrible incidient where she could have been killed, Claire looks for housing off-campus and finds the Glass house.   This will change her life.  She learns that the town of Morganville is run by vampires.  It's best if she stay's inside at night.  Even worse, she's not protected.  Even worse than that is that the bullies at her school are in good with the vampiers.  Claire is in trouble.   Luckily her 3 new house mates have her back.

My Thoughts:
I was actually enjoying this story, until the last page. I'll get to that in a minute.  This is an urban fantasy YA, so of course things are a bit out there.  This book was done pretty well where things were still out there but not too much.  I liked the idea of the people having protection too.

Claire is an interesting character. I liked how even though she is super smart, she was still a 16 year old girl and she acted like it, you could tell. I like that better than if she had been very mature, etc.    Her new roommates were good characters too. I think they could really grow and develope as the series continues.

Now, I mentioned I liked it up until the last page.  The very last sentance leaves you with a cliff hanger.  This is a major pet peeve of mine. I realize it's done a lot in YA to generate more revenue. If it's left like this then you'll be hopping in the car to go buy the next one or begging your parents to do so.   I'm sure a lot of people do that.  I'm a bit of a cranky old lady. I do the oppsite and often refuse to continue with a series.  I'm not saying I can't handle a cliff hanger, I don't mind them when done right.  But the one in this series? Royally pissed me off. haha!  So will I continue with the series? I would have said absolutely yes but after reading the last page, I don't know.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Cliffhanger aside, I don't think this book is for me.