Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates

#1 Magical bakery Mystery
Copyright: 2012
Publisher: Obsidian Mystery
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 319
My rating: 4/5


Simple Description:
Katie Lightfoot moves to Savannah to work as the head baker in a new bakery her Aunt and Uncle are opening.  This is the perfect opportunity she needed to escape Ohio, where her fiance recently broke up with her and she is in a job she doesn't like.

Unfortunately things get off to a bad start.  Before the bakery even opens a woman is killed outside and her Uncle is the lead suspect.  Katie knows her Uncle couldn't have done it and feels she needs to figure out what is going on and who the real murderer is since the police don't seem to be doing it themselves.

To make things a bit weirder for Katie she notices her Aunt mumbling and putting herbs in the baked goods.  She soon learns that her Aunt is a witch..and so is Katie.  She has always felt like she doesn't belong, could this be why?

My Thoughts:
Just because it took me awhile to finish this book does not mean I didn't like it.  The opposite actually, I loved this book.  What a great start to a new series.  I sound like a broken record, but once again, you know me and know I like books with a touch of paranormal in them.  So the witchcraft aspect of this one intrigued me.  Plus,  I love to bake from scratch so having the mystery revolve around a bakery was icing on the cake.

Katie is a wonderful character.  She is easy to like and isn't perfect.  She struggles with being told she is a witch and alternating between not believing it but wanting to believe and practice it.  You can tell that she has a lot of room to grow with the series and I look forward to seeing that.

They mystery/story itself was great.  Katie does some investigating but doesn't go crazy, which is good.  I didn't figure out who the killer was until Katie did, but that doesn't say much as I'm not always the best with that.   I felt the story flowed well and kept my interest the whole time.

I think cozy mystery fans will enjoy this new series, so give it a try!

No comments: