Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas

Copyright:  1996
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Genre: fiction
Pages: 196
My rating: 3/5


Simple Description:
It’s a small town in Kansas in the 1930’s.  Hard times are had by all as it’s the Depression and due to no water the crops aren’t growing for this farming town. 
The story is centered around a group of women who get together once a week due to a common interest, quilting.  They might not like each other 100%, they all have faults, but when tragedy strikes they are there to support one another 100%. 

One of the town’s members comes back to live on the family farm because he can’t find a job elsewhere and he brings his wife, Rita.  Rita is a city girl and doesn’t get the country ways.  She also has a dream of being a journalist.  When the bones of a man thought to be missing turn up along side the road, she makes it her mission to figure out who killed him.

The man was one of the Persian Pickle Club’s husbands and she runs in to road blocks while trying to investigate.

My Thoughts:
This author came highly recommended and while I didn’t love this book I’m glad I read it. I did enjoy it, I just didn’t love it.  Yet I can’t tell you what about it makes me say I didn’t love it.  I found the story interesting. I thought the author did a fantastic job painting a picture of the town and the towns folk.  I thought the story itself was interesting too.  I like reading about this era so that had my interest from the beginning.  

I definitely recommend this book to others. While I might not have loved it, I enjoyed it and felt it was a good story and very well written.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think I read this a while ago and felt the same way. I know a lot of people who love this author's work.

Unknown said...

Same here..I read lots of good reviews online. I think I'll try her again at some point.