Thursday, May 24, 2007

Mergers and Acquisitions by Dana Vachon


Trust me...it's not what it seems. haha! I was donating blood at work, the red cross came in, and I had the book with me because I had never done this before and didn't know how long it would take. Well, people kept looking at it and looking at me and asking if I had to read it for work or for school and if I was going to be tested on it. I was confused and would say No, I'm reading it for fun. haha! It wasn't till I was at my desk that it came to light why they would think it would be a school book - duh! the title! haha!

For those of you reading this blog...this is a fun fiction book and there is not a test at the end. haha!

The author is basically laughing at 20 something individuals who are used to wealth and live in new york and need to earn a living but might not be smart and are getting through based on luck and their last name. The main character is Tommy Quin. He graduates from college with low scores and his father is able to get him into the J.S. Spencer training program. There he meets Roger Thorne, who is in the same situation - not that smart but lucky, much luckier than Quin. They become good friends and because one of the more important guys at Spencer "knew" Thorne's older sister in college, they are able to get into the Mergers and Acquisitions department. However they aren't given any big roles because they don't know anything about banking or math. Quin is also dating Francis Sloan, who comes from old money. He thinks everything is going good...until her father has a baby with her step-mom, however everyone knows it isn't really her father's child. This causes Francis to kinda lose it. The other characters in the book are funny and over-the-top. You have the girls who everyone wants to know but they are stupid and care only about looks - but won't admit it, and only date people they think will make them richer and more popular. You also learn about what Quin sees at work and how people scam money from the bank and make it look like a valid business transaction,etc.
One of my favorite parts was when they went to Cabo with another department and are invited on this big yacht that some rich guy owns and "pirates" come to kidnap the guy. haha! I thought it was pretty funny.

This is one of those books that took me awhile to enjoy but I ended up liking. I'm not a person to drop names, etc and that is basically what these people in the book are doing, so I had to get used to that. However I knew the author was making fun of it and it did go well with the story. Everything in this book is over the top..but again that's part of the story. I admit, I would love to know what it's like to live with that kinda of money though. haha! I doubt I did a good job of describing the book...might want to look it up on amazon or b&n to get the info on the back of the book. I think it was pretty good and I enjoyed reading it. I liked the main character and how he kinda came around and didn't really fit with the other characters.

new author/fiction/287pgs

1 comment:

Lover of Books said...

It certainly sounds interesting. :)