Friday, June 8, 2007

The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares


This is the authors first Adult book, she is known for her YA books for Sister of the Traveling Pants.
There are three main characters in this book, Alice, Riley, and Paul. Alice and Riley are sisters and Paul is their summer neighbor and best friend. They spend summers on an island, surrounded by oceans and sand. They have all been very close. Now they are in their 20's and the attraction between Alice and Paul is too much to ignore. They try to hide it from Riley though. Then something tragic happens that drives Alice away from Paul. I know...didn't give you a whole lot of the story but don't want to give anything away.
The book was a little tough for me to really get into right away because I had to get used to how she wrote it. The book takes place in present day when they are all three grown and in their 20's yet they are constantly going back and reliving things that happened in the past. I don't know why, but for some reason that took me awhile to get used to. Once I got used to her style of writing, the book moved pretty fast for me and I enjoyed it. I think the relationships between the characters is complicated and she does a good job of explaining it throughout the story.
Overall...I did enjoy the book and thought it was a very good read. I don't know how it compares to the YA books since I haven't read them yet (although I plan to read the first later this month). I think this is a good story about relationships and family. I would be very interested in reading another adult book by the author.
fiction/new author/306pgs

1 comment:

karen said...

Thanks for the review - I will have to check Brashares out!