Monday, January 7, 2008

The Journal of Curious Letters (Book 1 of The 13th Reality) by James Dashner


This is the first in a new young adult series by James Dashner. Tick, really his name is Atticus Higginbottom, is a nerd. There is no other way to describe it. He does very well in school, loves sports and playing chess. He is also picked on by all the other kids. One day he receives a very strange letter. The letter is a riddle and tells him that if he doesn't burn the letter, he will receive a total of 12 and will begin a journey that will change his life forever.
Tick decides to take on this adventure. In the course of receiving the 12 letters he meets 2 of the other kids also receiving these letters. He also runs into a gnat rat, something that is designed to hurt others. He meets Mothball, a very tall and skinny women and Rutger, a very short and fat man. They are both on the good side and seem to give him information that confuses him instead of helps him.
I was telling my co-worker about this book. This book touches on quantum physics. That is not something I'm very good with. I joked that although I found the book interesting and liked it, I'm glad the 12 yr old boy understands quantum physics better than I do. haha! He was also much better at the clues than I was. Boy, it's a good thing I didn't get the letters. haha!
I thought this was a very fun young adult novel. It kept my interest the entire time and I can't wait for more in the series. I loved Tick's family, especially his dad. I did look at more books by the author and he does have another series. I'll have to add the first in that series to my wish list. I've come to realize that I love the young adult fantasy novels. I enjoy them more than some adult fantasy books. I had given up on fantasy but I keep coming across young adult ones that are great. In fact...I picked up 2 at the bookstore last week. haha!
***fyi - This book doesn't get released until March 2008 - I was lucky enough to got my hands on an early copy - I forgot it wasn't released yet and read it. So you won't be able to get it now, but put it on your wish list and look for it in March***
new author/young adult/418pgs

2 comments:

James Dashner said...

Kris,

Google alerts helped me find this very nice review. I just want to say thank you very, very much! You're one of the first people to read it and post a review.

I'm so glad you liked the book. I'm very excited for it to come out and go on my tour to promote it in March. Maybe we'll go to St. Louis, I don't know yet.

I bet you understand quantum physics as much as I do! I barely scratched the surface and relied on other people mostly. :-) I just thought it would be fun to have a "somewhat" true premise for the weird stuff that goes on in the book.

Thanks again, and I wish you all the best.

James

Juli said...

oh no...more books for my pile! Great review, I'm looking forward to checking it out.