Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Scarlet Stockings: The Enchanted Riddle by Charlotte Kandel



This is the first in a young adult trilogy.

Daphne is an orphan in London. She loves to dance, but doesn't have the opportunity to take dance lessons. One day she receives a package. This is a big surprise since she has no idea who her parents are and isn't aware of any relatives. The package includes a book to teach yourself ballet and some stockings.

Inside the book is a riddle. The first clue is: First you must find me. Hmm...that seems rather hard. Then, when Daphne puts on the stockings, she realizes that they change color to match whatever color her legs currently are (ie - they will match other stockings she has on!).

Then, luck comes to Daphne. Even though she is 13, Daphne is adopted by a wonderful family. The Mom and Dad already one one son who is older than Daphne. She joins the son's performance act and becomes their dancer. She soon realizes that while she wearing the stockings, she can do anything she wants to do. She becomes a wonderful dancer!

She is able to follow her dreams of being up on stage and performing in a real ballet. However, will her fame and the magic stockings go to her head?

Overall, good book. I think being older, it was a little "young" for me however I still enjoyed it. I think younger crowds would really like it. I liked how we get a girl who has nothing...goes to having fame and anything and letting it go to her head...then drops back down to reality again. I liked the characters as well.In fact, I can't wait to read the next in the trilogy.

Have you reviewed this book online also? Send me an email or post a comment with a link to your review and I'll list it here!

new author/fiction/367 pgs

No comments: