Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Belong to Me By Marisa De Los Santos



This is the story of 4 different families.


Cornelia and Teo have recently moved to the suburbs. She has a hard time making new friends, especially when her neighbor across the street is so mean. They are hoping to become pregnant and raise their kids in this house. Cornelia and Teo have known each other since they were little kids, but only recently did they become a couple. However they are the type of couple that everyone envies.


Piper is married to Kyle but never sees him due to his work. However that's ok, she is busing raising their two kids. She rules the other neighborhood women and is not the nicest person. She tends to put down those who are different and not as good as her. Kyle soon tells Piper that he isn't happy with the marriage, but Piper is so busy helping her friend that she doesn't really listen. Plus, she just doesn't believe divorce is something that could happen to her.


Elizabeth is married to Tom and is Piper's best friend. She lives down the street and has two young children as well. Elizabeth has been diagnosed with cancer and while it seemed to be going away, it didn't. Soon everyone realizes that Elizabeth is going to die. Piper makes sure she is there for her friend, watching the kids, taking care of the house, and everything else that needs to be done.


Lake recently moved to the town with her son Dev. Dev is extremely bright and she says she has moved him to go to a different school, but Dev thinks otherwise. He believes that they moved to be closer to his father, somebody he has never met. He believes Lake wants to send him to a really expensive school and needs money from his dad.


Soon, everyone's life is entwined together. I don't really want to say much more about the story because I don't want to ruin it by giving something away.


This is the first book I have read by the author and I loved it! The characters were great. While I hated Piper at first, I soon came to like her. Cornelia was a hit from the beginning, as was Teo and Dev. I liked Lake, but then about half-way through I didn't really like her that much. I won't elaborate; you'll have to read the story to find out why. I just can't keep telling you that this book is awesome. I have read a couple other reviews, looked at some of the comments on the authors website, and seen how much recognition it has gotten it bookstores. Well, this is one book that deserves all of that.




Have you read this book and reviewed it on your blog? If so, please email me or leave me a comment. I'll then post a link to your review in mine so readers can easily read other opinions.




New author/fiction/388pgs

No comments: