Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lost Girls by George D. Shuman

Copyright: 2008
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 244
Challenges: none
New-to-me author? no


 


 

Simple Description

Sherry Moore is a blind woman who has the ability to see the last 18 seconds of a person's life before they die. She uses this "gift" to help law enforcement. This is actually the 3rd book in the series.

Sherry Moore is asked to see the last 18 seconds of a dead climber's body. He was climbing Mt. McKinley with a group of Americans when a storm hit. The rest of his group is still missing. With Sherry's help the other climbers are saved, however she saw more than she expected. There seems to be a castle in the jungle, somewhere, where women are held captive and tortured. They are then sold. She is told to forget what she saw, but she is having a hard time doing it.

Meanwhile, Jill Bishop has gone missing. She was on vacation with her family. The cruise ship stopped in the Dominican and when it was time to board, she never shows up. Jill was kidnapped and taken across the border into Haiti. There she is sold to a man with one eye and held captive in a castle in the jungle. She is tortured, I'm sure you can imagine what all happens, I don't feel the need to go into it. She is kept in a cell with another woman. For some reason, the two of them stay in the castle, while other women come and go.

Soon, Sherry is in the Caribbean trying to get a handle on what is going on. She feels she can't just sit around do nothing when she knows something horrible is happening to hundreds of girls/women around the world. With the help of some retired Americans and a Jamaican police officer, Sherry helps to uncover the human trafficking ring that has its base in Haiti.

Why did I read this book?

I read the 2nd in the series, Last Breath, and loved it. So I jumped at the chance to read the most recent in the series.

What I liked most:

I thought the story was very well written. The characters are great, you can't help like Sherry and those who help her.

I also like that the author wrote his story around the whole issue of human trafficking. It does make for an interesting story, but it also brings the issue to our awareness. In the book it states that the U.S. State Department estimates that 600,000-800,000 are trafficked across borders annually. That's unbelievable! And yet, we rarely hear about it. In fact, I never hear about it (but I tend not to watch a lot of news).

Was there something I didn't like?

I'm glad that I can say No to this question. I really did love this book.

Do I recommend the book?

Absolutely! I feel that you can read this series out of order but I definitely recommend both in the series that I have read so far. Without even reading the first yet, I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite series now. I know the author has another one coming out this year and I'm already looking forward to it.


 

Have you reviewed this book on your blog? Leave me a comment to let me know and I'll link it below.

Sorry, no linked reviews yet.


 


 Happy Reading and thanks for stopping by……Kris

No comments: