Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekend Cooking - Texas Potatoes

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.


This week, because my husband requested I make these yesterday for a family swim party and the recipe was already out on my counter, I'm sharing a Texas Potatoes recipe.  Many of you probably already have the same one or similar, but if not....here you go!  My family loves these..in fact I got this recipe from my sister who got it from one of my aunts.  I would have to say that 9 out of 10 times there is a gathering that involves food, Texas Potatoes makes an appearance.  It's not the healthiest, but it sure is yummy.

Ingredients
1 bag square hash browns
1 can cream of chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
8 oz mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup butter
salt and pepper to taste
cheddar cheese

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350f  (or...a lot of times I'll make this dish the day before and store it in the fridge.  I'll take it out a little before I have to cook it to let it start warming up but the cooktime is usually the same)

Mix together the hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and mozzarella cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Spread in a 9x13" pan.  Melt butter and pour over the top.  Put cheddar cheese on top.

Bake for 45 min.

8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I have a recipe that's similar to that, but yours looks a little easier to create, so I think I'll give it a try.

Meg @ write meg! said...

Sounds delicious, and like a great way to do something different with potatoes! I'm a little tired of the ol' mashed and baked varieties, myself. And isn't party food fun?! We have several dishes that always make an appearance at family get-togethers.

Beth F said...

My aunt makes this -- or something similar -- for many family gatherings. She calls it cheesy potatoes, but I bet the recipe is almost the same.

I love family tradition dishes.

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - It is incredibly easy. I'm tempted to try it with fresh potatoes that I cut up..but mostly I've been too lazy to actually cut up the potatoes to do that. haha

Meg - I get tired of the regular old baked and mashed myself..especially since I'm not loading them up with sour cream and butter anymore. lol! Although..this recipe isn't exactly healthy either. and I agree..party food is fun!

Beth - lol - I do add a ton of cheddar cheese on the top of mine so cheesy potatoes is a perfect name. I love family tradition dishes too. Most of those in our family happen to be desserts though. haha

Kaye said...

Yup, I have a similar recipe and only make it occasionally but it sure is yummy!! We call it Barbara's party potatoes as my late friend Barbara used to host most of our neighborhood parties and she always made these potatoes.

Heather said...

My cousin makes something like this, though it's been years since I had it. I am going to make this for the next family gathering. I think it will dissappear pretty quickly. Thanks.

caite said...

yep...I make a version of this too, or very similiar. I use cheddar instead of mozzarella, to mix in...and yes, more on top. And I never add the butter the recipe calls for. I just don't see the need

I also make it with cooked sausage mixed in. It is my family's fav Christmas morning meal.

Unknown said...

Kaye - isn't it funny how there are so many names for similar recipes? I like the story behind yours too..what a great way to remember a friend.

Heather - you will be the star of the party of you do! lol! It will probably be requested at every family gathering after that..but since it's so easy to make that might be a blessing.

Caite - ohh..I like the changes you make. I'm going to leave out the butter next time, you are right, i doubt it is needed and it will still be yummy with all the cheese. I'm going to try all cheddar cheese too. I've made it once with half the hash browns and half tater tots (husbands request) and that seemed to go over well too.