Sunday, May 15, 2011

Eon by Alison Goodman

#1
Copyright: 2010
Publisher: Firebird
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: audio
Challenges: young adult, 1st in a series, audio
Author's Website
My rating: 2/5


Simple Description:
This is an Asian fantasy novel. It doesn't ever say when it takes place but it seems like it was awhile ago, such as the 17th century or something along those lines.   It starts off with some boys trying to learn the proper moves in order to compete to become the next Rat Dragon dragoneye.  The dragoneye is able to communicate with the dragon and help their country.  

Eon is the least likely candidate.  Eon is really a girl posing as a boy and she's lame.  However she has a lot of stress because she is the last hope for her master.

When the time comes Eon is not chosen by the Rat Dragon however she is chosen by the Mirror Dragon. The Mirror Dragon is believe to have been lost centuries ago.  Soon Eon is made a Lord and also asked by the Emperor to support him. There is trouble brewing and the Emperor needs the support of a powerful dragon eye.


My Thoughts:
Honestly, I didn't really like this book.  The main reason I listened to it and continued with it is because I was sent the 2nd in the series and I was determined to finish this one so I could attempt that one and know what was going on.   I should say that the copy of the 2nd one that was sent to me was a surprise, I wasn't expecting it.  Not sure I would have picked this one because it's exactly my cup of tea.

However, that's not really why I didn't like it.  One of the main issues I had with it is that I did not like Eon. I felt she was whiny immature.  I could not connect with her.   Another thing that bothered me was that the book reads like it took place centuries ago, yet there were common phrases in it. Phrases that I felt were really out of place for the time frame of the novel.  To me, they stuck out like a sore thumb.

Even though I didn't really like this one I do plan to give the 2nd one in the series a try.  If I don't like it any better I will DNF it, even though I don't like doing that.

Audio Review: 
I did listen to the audio version of this novel.  Nancy Wu is the narrator and over-all I think she did a pretty good idea.  She changed her voice to show emotion and to separate the characters.

No comments: