Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

#1 Wicked Lovely
Copyright: 2007
Publisher: Harper Collins 
Genre: young adult
Pages: 328
Challenges: young adult, 1st in a series, New Author, Strong Heroine, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Fantasy Romance, Buy 1 book and read it
Author's Website 
My rating: 3.5/5

Simple Description: 
Aislinn has always been able to see the Fae.  From when she was very young her Grandmother, who raised her, taught her how to act like she didn't see them. It would be dangerous for them if the Fae knew that. 

Normally the Fae don't bother Aislinn and she's able to stay away from them.  Until now that is.  Keenan, the Summer King, has noticed Aislinn and he feels she is the one.  She is the one that can be his queen.  He must convince her that she loves him and to pick up the winter staff in order for this to happen.  He needs his queen in order to gain his full power and save the summer fae from the winter queen, his Mom.

Unfortunately for Keenan, Aislinn is different from all the girls.  She knows what he truly is and she wants nothing to do with him. Keenan gets frantic though because all signs show that Aislinn is the one. He must convince her. 


My Thoughts: 
We all know that I love books with a paranormal aspect to it. I love books with vampires and witches and ghosts.  However I was skeptical I would like a book that is about the Fae, faeries.  I'm not sure why, but I didn't think I would like it.  Color me happy..I loved this one!  I was pleasantly surprised by just how much I enjoyed it and how fast I was captivated by the story.  I like Aislinn and I wanted to know what was going to happen.   I admit that it took me a bit to get into it, think I just had to get used to the whole Fae thing.  Once that happened though, I couldn't put the book down.

That's not to say I didn't have some issues with it.  Sometimes the writing was off and it just didn't make sense. I would have to re-read sentences to figure out what was being said and what was going on.  I also don't like it when the point of view of the narrator changes within the same chapter.  This happened a lot.  the story would be told from, say Aislinn's point of view and then in the next paragraph it would be from Keenan's point of view. I just don't like this and never think it flows well.  

If you can get past those though and you enjoy fantasy stories, I definitely recommend this one. 

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not one for paranormal, so I probably won't read this one.

samantha.1020 said...

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this one as well. I've been meaning to pick up the 2nd book but have yet to do it. I do have this author's new book Graveminder checked out from the library and I am SOOO excited to read it! Great review!

Unknown said...

Bermudaonion - I agree this wouldn't be the best one for you.

Samantha - Surprise books are great aren't they? I hope to continue with this series this year..trying to stay caught up on series I start this year. I hope you enjoy Graveminder!